Register now to get rid of these ads!

channeled model a roadster, chop or not?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod-kenny, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Mo rust

Mo rust

I'm just curious what year the body for my car was made. If this doesn't tell me anything, then that fact is lost to history.

2. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Thanks! I painted the firewall black the same day I got it.....could'nt look at that checkered thing :D future plans are new windshield and stanchions, top, other seats, whitewalls, full wheelcovers, motorcycle fenders, paint job etc. THEN drive it like I stole it:D

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Good inspiration.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

YES!!! Is this going to morph into the build thread? If it is, I'll subscribe.

5. COOP

COOP

I have a '29 roadster, no channel, but 2" posts chop. I'm 6'2 and it's almost comfortable. However I built a '27 with a 4" channel and 4" post chop. Junebug at 60 hurts like hell, and a friends girlfriend saw me comin' down the hill and said I looked like Lurch driving the car. Never drove it much after that without half squatting to at least keep my chin below the top of the windshield. I'm with most..... channel, no chop...... looks cool

6. Build thread.......Build thread.........Build thread..........Build thread..........Build thread
    You had me at full wheel covers :)

7. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Easy you made man. Sweet ride!!:D

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

To me this is the PERFECT early '60's EAST COAST channeled Roadster, I still have the January 1962 issue of Hot Rod it was featured in. Find an issue of American Rodder January 2003, for the feature on this found award winning Roadster. NO CHOP on the windsheild! Bob:D

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Well you just mentioned everything that I would change myself. So this is a great minds think alike thing or you are as sick as I am when it comes to cars. ;):D:D

10. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Human fly, dude that deuce is pretty cool!!

the37kid, that black roadster shure has the look!

as for a build thread. I will definetly post pics of the build......but don't wait up......I work very slow......family and my other projects take some time too:D

thanks guys!

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, stupid kids, eating food all the time, growing out of thier clothes...No wonder I cant finish my cars!:D

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

oh yes, the original question. I'm just going to assume you are going back to a bench seat? Mock it up. lay a piece of plywood on top of the rails, grab a thick piece of foam to sit on, and see where the top of your head ends up relative to the existing windshield, should be pretty easy to decide.

13. Pete H.

Pete H.
    from Finland

And now you are on the right track my friend!
    I will be following this thread...

-P

14. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Terve Petri! hope to see ya at some show this summer. I will be starting this project this fall.....

Cheers!

15. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

found this awesome pic a week a go, very nice channeled roadster!

Attached Files:

16. Pete H.

Pete H.
    from Finland

Uh! that roadster is nice.
    We will go to Jokers #10 and maybe we meet there...
    And Kenny, you should listen little devil on your shoulder who whisper to your ear "FLATHEAD" BUAHAHAA!

-P

17. Pete H.

Pete H.
    from Finland

Uh! that roadster is nice.
    We will go to Jokers #10 and maybe we meet there...
    And Kenny, you should listen little devil on your shoulder who whisper to your ear "FLATHEAD" BUAHAHAA!

-P

18. 60 Belair

60 Belair

One more vote for no chop. 60Belair

19. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

"standard roadster body had two screws holding the door hinges on, deluxe had three. the windshield posts are interchangeable."
    "I had read somewhere that the three bolt hinges on open cars in 30 and 31 was only on the Deluxe Phaeton from August 1930 forward and not roadsters. I have a 30/31 roadster with two bolt hinges and I'd be interested to know which case is true."

My '30 Deluxe Roadster has two screws holding the hinges on but a lot of things could have been changed in the 39 years before I got the car.
    There doesn't seem to be enough room on the cowl for three screws.

20. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

21. Here is a picture of the Cockroach Roadster, it has an approx 2" chop, the Deuce frame is channeled the full width.

Attached Files:

22. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

Thougt I'd share a pic of how the roadster sits now. It has been very slow progress and other cars have come and gone in the meantime. I raised it a little in the rear and got rid of the stupid airbags. Made a bench seat and floors in the rear. I've mounted a gastank behind the seat, changed valvecovers, intake manifold, steering wheel, wheels and tires. Mounted Vette manifolds and a generator, Accel dual distributor, aircleaner, set of old Stewart Warner gauges. Rebuilt the front brakes etc. It's really just cheap/scrap parts, nothing fancy but is'nt that what hot rods where back then?! Starting to like the "mid/late fities high school" look its getting! Next step is to fire up the engine, and then do the last wiring and plumbing, and test run. Future plans are wheelcovers and motorcycle fenders.

Attached Files:

Squablow likes this.
  23. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Me likey!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

if your going east coast , don't chop it , and channel the heck out of it , be different , it seems like almost everyone chops the top .but then again that's just my opinion and I like a heavly channeled no chop car .

25. COOP

COOP

A lot depends on where you want your seat to set. I did not want to set like a go kart so I set my seat a little high. Was a lot more comfy on the legs, but with a 2" chop I found myself looking directly at the top of the windshield frame. Had to either scoot down or lift my head. I wear glasses so it didn't bother me much. Stock would have been better for me.

26. BELLM

BELLM

'36 Ford spare tire covers make nice fenders 363.jpg

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Grill shells a little high, but the car looks cool.

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Yeah, but that was one of the 'EastCoastSpl' look. Another was the use of ~'48 front axle/spring/wishbones(spring in front of axle). & then push the rad n shell out in front of that. Sometime sectioning the rad/shell so nothing sits below the front crossmember. Odd look, but it is(was) what it was.
    Marcus...

29. hotrod-kenny

hotrod-kenny

I've really let this thread die, lets try to revive it. The roadster project took a different path regarding style, but it's now running and driving. I landed for now on this "mid fifties highschool" look, and I also have a "race" version.
    CHECK OUT this video of the car on the street, and racetrack:

Cheers! Kenny.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great photo! Bob
    [​IMG]