Register now to get rid of these ads!

Changing over to a Vega steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooloutlaw, Apr 17, 2010.

1. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I am wanting to change my steering box on my 41 Ford and staying with the straight axle and transverse spring. I could use some ideas on what this would involve. I plan on adding disc brakes if and when I can afford it.

2. lawman

lawman

Hey Oldskool, Speedway has all the parts needed to change the steering.
    Here are some photos of my Grandsons Vega cross steering on a 51 chevy truck frame. Enjoy. TOM ( Tired Old man)

Attached Files:

3. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

You don't say what you have now, or share any photos, so I'll take a guess that it's all the stock parts. You don't say if it's a car or truck, so i'll go with the probability that it's a car. (getting the drift?)

Your stock steering arms should be OK as it came with cross-steering. Speedway sells a vega steering mount for your car: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Vega-Steering-Box-Mount-for-1935-41-Ford-Frame,3292.html

You will need to install that and measure for a drag link. You may need to find or drop you own pitman arm.

Wow! I found all that in 5 minutes with google using no information to begin with! This could all be completely worthless, but you could look here...

http://tinyurl.com/yyopxwc

4. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Thanks for the pic's, I think even I might be get this done.