Register now to get rid of these ads!

changing out the butchered 30 firewall-how difficult

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurts49plym, Feb 9, 2008.

1. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I am going to change out the hacked up firewall from my 30 Ford cowl. I located another one that is much nicer. How difficult is it to change out? Looks like a lot of pan-head type screws, but will they come out or do most have to be drilled out? What's your experience?:confused: Currently, the hacked up one is on the car. Thanks!

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

The top section is just those pan head screws, but the sides are spot welded. Plus a few rivets at the bottom. Drill out the spots welds and grind off/drill out the rivets. Reweld the new firewall in with plug welds in the holes that you drilled out. You might want to flip the firewall around before you put it in and make it recessed. Lotsa guys have done that trick before and it looks good and gives plenty of room for most engines. Requires a little more fab work, but you're already half way there by removing the old one.