Register now to get rid of these ads!

changing fuel injection to carb.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustumizer, Aug 8, 2004.

1. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

What things do i have to do to change from a fuel injected motor over to carb?? intake, carb, distibutor are the things i can think of?? Anybody done this before?? Thanks Nate

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

what brand of moter? gm ford chrysler? how old if newer chevy ,they dont have a fuel pump mount ,,tell us more

3. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

its for my friend, i would say it is a early to mid 90s chevy 4x4 motor, he says its a 350?? Thanks Nate

4. My '95 350 runs the distributor off the front of the cam.
    The cap mounts behind the waterpump.
    No idea if you can swap in an earlier distributor.

5. [ QUOTE ]
    My '95 350 runs the distributor off the front of the cam.
    The cap mounts behind the waterpump.
    No idea if you can swap in an earlier distributor.

[/ QUOTE ]

opti spark.....under water spark.......
    are you going to use the computer still or is the motor going in a different vehicle. if your going to keep it in the truck then i would say not really. the ecm uses the signals from the tps to control spark timing, a/f mix, trans lockup/ shifting, idle........ if you get rid of the ecm and just use the motor in something else it's ok.

6. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Nate, without knowing more and assuming he wants to do all this to the motor as it sits in the pickup, I would have to say that it would be a mistake. That is a pretty decent system and lends itself to many fairly easy upgrades, plus they aren't half bad on gas either. I don't know the situation, maybe he had an engine fir and just wants to get it running on the cheap. If it has the rear disrtibutor it can all be done but he will still need the aftermarket stand alone processor to run the tranny, I think. Anf there are only a few aftermarket manifolds to put a carb on the vortec heads.

7. Is it a 94 or OLDER engine or 94 or NEWER motor?
    94 back can use a common old small block intake and HEI from the '70's-
    two center bolts holes on each side will either have to be angle cut to allow different angle bolts to bolt into block there or just leave em out and silicone shut holes[drove my 88 chevy truck two years so far that way].....or just use the two in front and two in rear ON EACH SIDE....
    '94 up would be a Vortec which would still take an HEi dist fron the '70s',,,,BUT will require a wider Vortec intac[summitt 150.00] also all the bolts on each side of vortec motor at the intake are straight up[VERTICAL] instead of angled as an older motor would be.....
    UnkIaN was surely referring to an "LT1 or Police" 350 with dist in front.....good luck

8. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

yeah we are putting the motor in a 1990 s10, hes goin to run a turbo 400 i think. If that helps any, i will check out the truck we are pulling it out of tommorow. Thanks nate

9. should be ok, try to find an intake from a zz4 motor, the dealer hot rod motor was set up for a carb on the new headed motor.

10. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it a 94 or OLDER engine or 94 or NEWER motor?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol this is a funny statement looking at the board you're on...even though i know you mean when you say "new"..still funny...quck laughing at me
    Creepy

11. dixie_4x4

dixie_4x4
    from Oklahoma

OK i have a 1997 ford f150 four wheel drive. i blew the 5.4l and had a 5.8l given to me ( 351w) i found a c6 transmisison to mount up behind it. I have also carbed out the 5.8l. now i need to find out about the wiring harness that came in the truck that was attached to the 5.4. need some links to some info pertaining to wiring harness removal. if i take out the entire wiring harness, i loose all power to everything. is there a way to do this , or a step by step online somewhere. cant find a forum on it yet. i can just take each wire i need, i.e. blinkers and head lights, run them about a foot or two back and cut the wires and run them manually up. but is there a way to remove the most of the harness and keep the basics like main power to the headlights, brake lights, interior lights speakers, etc. i dont do electronics very well, and of coarse at first glance it seems impossible. but istarted tracing some wires and i figure if i just cut open the harness and keep my basic wiring, could this work?
    <!-- / message -->

12. terryr

terryr
    from earth

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

[​IMG]

come on man, read the rules and pay attention!