Register now to get rid of these ads!

changing from powerglide to 350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorf, May 5, 2012.

1. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

can u use the glide flywheel or converter ,does the crossmember need moved? it is a 64 impala already has a 350 engine

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Flywheel will work, and is actually called a Flexplate...should be a 153 tooth unit...not sure if the Powerglide torque convertor will work on the Turbo 350.

In '64, the Powerglide was 24" long, the Turbo 350 was 27" long, so you will need to shorten the driiveshaft.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

thanks larry havent done this one before

4. Short PG is the same length as the short T350.
    PG input is 17 spline ..Turbo is 30, so no the converter won't work.

5. Converter will not work . Short tail shaft 350 is anear perfect fit. Dr. Shaft will works shifter will also with a little adapting.

6. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

going from a th350 to glide was the best thing i did in my 27. Why are you changing it?

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd imagine that the glide has crapped out on him. The only advantages I can see with a glide on a street driven rig are less weight and a smaller case to contend with. I've owned a number of both in a number of rigs and I wouldn't run another powerglide except in a very light car like a T.

8. ... I envision a 700r down the road

On the glide/th switch, as I recall the cooler hardlines will be too short (I think) but a in-line external cooler solves that and still go through the radiator

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

its a leaker , thanks for the help guys