Register now to get rid of these ads!

Changed my mind - you ever done that?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jaxx, Nov 14, 2009.

1. jaxx

jaxx

Test fired the 225 slant super six that I was planing for the 25/ 26 dodge RPU build and just changed my mind on the engine choice. decided to go with the small block 318 insted - Just couldn't see myself with the six and being satisfied. Any of you ever make that big of a change in plans in the middle of a build? Now I need a 727 tourqflight and an 8 1/4 rearend to go with the 318 I have, but theres lots of them around. Just got to start gathering parts again. Got a decent 225 slant super six - 904 auto and 7 1/4 rear end with 294 gear ratio if your looking! - Guess I didn't want to finish this thing this year anyway- Jaxx

2. floored

floored

Go with the leaning tower of power. Yea I change my mind alot.

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep -- and good choice. Slant engines never look right in a rod.

4. chopo

chopo

I change my mind everytime I mess with the car. No shit I hear ya. 6's are cool. But...... I still am running a flathead 6. They have their limitations.

5. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

You'll have an easier time finding a smallblock 904 then a smallbock 727.
    And besides, going from 6 to 8 sounds like a normal 'change in plans' anyway... ;)

6. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I'm ripping the /6 out of my Essex in the spring to replace it with a SBC. Nothing wrong with the 6, but it's too damn long and I have no room for my feet in the cab.

7. man if i could stop changing my mind i might be able to finish something.

i envy people who can make one plan and stick to it through a whole build.

8. roddinron

roddinron

Slant 6's are great little engines, but I just think they look terrible in a hot rod. I really like straight 6's and will stay with it in the 54. Straight 6's look great in a hot rod, but it would really be hard for me to commit to a 6 in a fresh build, even though I do love em. I think you made the right choice.

9. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Nope, never! He he he. Thats why I've got enough parts to build 3 trucks.:D AND... still have shit everywhere!

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The only open engine rod that the Slant Six looked at home in was Tex Smith's XR-6.

Great engines but not long on looks even when dolled up.

11. I guess that's why project cars are never "really" finished! The '57 was going out for paint in 2 weeks. Just couldn't bring myself to keep the 'glass front end & bumper. I didn't like the way it fit the car and knew I was gonna end up hating it. Ordered up a brand new set of front fenders and picked my best steel hood to go on the car. Another big expense, but my painter said it was the best thing I could have done. I think so too.

12. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

yeah... i collected motor, trans, rear, adapter bellhousing and flywheel, 2x2 intake and carbs to stick in my 31 essex coupe, and decided i dont want to hot rod it, and i dont really want it anymore. at least i didnt have to take it apart to figure that out.

13. TexasDart

TexasDart

I have a Slant six in my 65 and I go thru this everytime I change something on the engine...weber carb...or V8...hmmm....did the weber...now I'm still thinking V8.

I would go with the 904 too. It's probably a little smaller and will handle most anything the 318 would throw at it. They are a lot easier to find too....and cheaper. They can be built to handle quite a bit of HP.
    But if it was me...I'd have to find a 4 speed. If I ever convert the 'vert' to a 318/360 I want a 4 or 5speed. You could make the tranny housing smaller to for more room in the cab.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I accumulated parts for a .040 over 396 for the 48 over a period of 20 years only to decide to go with a 292 straight six in place of the 250 that is in it now. I still have the 396 and goodies and it will go in something one of these days.
    I thought changing our minds all the time was part of playing with hotrods and customs.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

15. eddie1

eddie1

No I have never changed my mind. Oh wait, yes I have. :D

16. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Why stop with a 318? I would start looking for a 440 to really juice it up. I had a completely rebuilt 396 big block chevy on the engine stand for 10 years and it finally found a home in my 56 Chevy gasser. I have never even fired it yet and I was thinking about replacing it today with a 454 I have. Probably wont just now because someday I need to drive this thing.

17. teddyp

teddyp

i did the same thing started a 6 then said hey i could have a v-8 lucky the 50 coupe had a v-8 in it when i got it so i didn,t have to go though that again wait! i have a 3-1 barrel set up and some chome goodie ? no not again

18. krooser

krooser

Those slants will turn mid-10's in a early a-body.... nothing to sneeze at.

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Change my mind all of the time. Almost bought another project to go in an entirely different direction, then I wussed out at the last second. I need to start slapping myself on a regular basis. Now I'm starting to think about a big block instead of the small block (well, actually I have 2 now) Olds I have... crap!!!

20. krooser

krooser

21. Preacher

Preacher
    Member Emeritus

all the time... and I like the move to the 318