Register now to get rid of these ads!

Changed carb. Lack of "power"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Apr 27, 2013.

1. I replaced the original Rochester 1bbl on my 235 with a Carter 3211S 1bbl. This carb was specifically designed by Carter as a direct replacement for the Rochester. So it starts and idles just fine. It is good on flat aground but going up hills isn't just doesn't seem to have any power. It doesn't sputter or cough it just runs out of ass. My Rochester was very noticeably better.
    I rebuilt the Cater before I put on. I'm thinking maybe I didn't get the float height correct? It thought maybe a vacuum problem but this,only happens when I go up a hill and there is a load on the car. Any ideas??
    Thanks,
    Todd

2. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

3. oj

oj

I had same prolem when i replaced the rochester with a zenith, i had a innovate LM-2 connected to the exhaust and going up a hill it'd go overly lean. I think it is because the throttlebore is slighly larger and under heavy load the air signal is weak.
    To be honest i haven't worked it all out as yet, i am just guessing.

4. Increase your main jet size!!

5. Thanks,
    I will pull it apart and check the metering rod adjustments. Carbuatorparts.com has a Video on rebuilding these the I will review again also. Todd

6. This may be a dumbass response but are you positive its getting WOT?