Register now to get rid of these ads!

Change bolt pattern from 5x5 to 5x4.75???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Jul 22, 2011.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I just got some nice wheels from a 54 pontiac for my truck and when I got home they wont fit right. The lugs fit the holes but they are tight to the inside of all the holes. If I lobe these out a small bit will I have issues?

They came with nice hub caps and there painted the same color as my truck! Yes, I have 5x4.75 on my truck.

[​IMG]

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Are the wheels "HUB-centric" (registers on the hub) or "LUG-centric" (hole in wheel is larger than hub and lugs possistion it?

HUB-centric --- yes LUG-centric---no

3. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Bad idea! This shit is what gets people killed and gives the rest of us a bad rap.
    Get wheels that fit, don't mess with something so critical to safety.
    Low budget, likely that the wheels you ran were designed to run a ring on the outside which matched the correct bolt pattern for the wheels. The ring would contain the beveled edges to seat the lugnuts. Basket wires ran this set up years ago, very similar to some of the 1 ton Ford trucks and vans ran in recent years.
    So, not only did you not run the correct bolt pattern , but unknowingly, you also failed to use the correct reinforcing ring which strengthened the center of the wheel. Yes, you were just lucky-dumb luck.

4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Like I already said in my previous post,I knew it was wrong and said that.
    I said I luckily got by with it,I also said I wasnt recommending it to anyone else.:rolleyes:

But to be safe and not give anyone any wrong ideas I deleted that post;)

good call DualQuad:cool:

5. Can a wheel shop redrill the correct pattern and can they make the beveled edges to seat the lugnuts?
    I mean it has to be easier than drilling the rotors or axles.

6. No, you can't hog out the holes in stock '54 Pontiac rims. They have that collar around the lug hole for a reason. Chevy wheels with the right pattern are a dime a fucking dozen, and so are old hubcaps, I set up at meets and can hardly give the damn things away. There's no reason to risk life and limb in an attempt to save a buck, or just to be too lazy to get something that fits right.

7. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i did just the opposie i redrilled my axles and drums to match my wheels.used a wheel adapter for a jig.dont look to close at my avatar picture these wheels were modifyed for 5/8 lugs years ago

8. Not a bad looking 1959 Chevy pickup. Or is it a 1958? In any case, nice truck ,

9. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Its a 58 they took the emblems off of the fenders.

I am not lazy! (been in the Army waaaay to long to be lazy) I have always respected your posts and advice, I asked for advice because I was unsure. I have been looking for wheels for weeks now.

I am not using them. I cannot for the life of me find a set of stock chevy wheels. If you have some I will gladly let you give them away to me!!!!! I hadnt thought about having them redrilled? I pulled a set of ugly steel rims from the 80's out of my stash and I am thinking of buying some moons for now. I have NOT been able to find a set of Mags or slots or steel wheels around anywere for any price!!! I did find a stash of old hot rod stuff in my searches though! I got a set of BLC guide lights in great condition for cheap. AndI needed a set of lights for my 27!

I wish I lived in CA so I could have a wheel shop around! but the people are nuts... So Ill stay in WI.

What wheels would fit? 51-54 I know for sure, then mags from the 60's. I have

10. put a wanted ad in the classifieds its free!