Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Chain driven blower on a flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 30, 2018.

1. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

Do you or can you find more info about this picture. Was it on a persons page? I need info on that intake manifold. I’ve got a 3-71 blower going on a 8BA and have been searching for an intake suitable.
    Thanks!!

2. Fordors

Fordors

That looks like a 4 bbl. manifold that was milled flat and most likely the plenum was opened up, then a 1/2" thick plate was bolted on to support the blower. Your 3-71 has only one outlet and it would work well with a modified 4 bbl. manifold, and if you consider going this route put the blower on top of the engine centered where it would be mounted and see if an off the shelf snout might be out there that would work. When you are measuring the length of the blower snout, keep in mind you will probably need to drive the water pumps with a separate belt.
    What are you considering for a drive system, Gilmer belt or v-belts? Take a look at this website for some ideas-
    http://uncommonengineering.com/

3. Anyone ever hear of a Ford 427 cammer, what made the cams go around? Many other engine timing chains are double row chain, the trick is proper tension and lube.
    The advantage of a belt is the tiny bit of "give" in the rubber teeth that absorbs the power pulses.

4. Deuces

Deuces

31Facebook.jpg 76951_1471326026160_1323908769_1076923_8092753_n.jpg
    There's always a gear drive setup for the Ford SOHC 427 motor.....
    What a freakin' nightmare!!!!:confused::rolleyes:

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

my thoughts exactly

6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

7. Deuces

Deuces

That too!!!..... :eek::rolleyes:
    Kinda like a Pete Jackson gear drive only worse....

8. khead47

khead47

Wasn't there an aero engine powered land speed car that had a chain drive that decapitated the driver when it threw the chain ? About a hunnert years ago.

9. kustomdeluxe

kustomdeluxe

3B369F9C-8CA2-4CDD-9167-20618065640E.jpeg

10. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I know chains were phased out early on, but can't help but wonder why. If you think about it, timing chains are better than belts right? I know belt slip on a blower is a major issue and I feel like a chain would be ideal. If you enclosed it and it was oiled and had a tensioner on it.

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Because engines have high rpm misfires and backfires that radically affect engine speed. A roots blower has a lot of inertia of its own, so many times the link between the blower and the engine it's on serves as a 'fuse' of sorts. A rubber belt will deal with minor hiccups better, or when things go really wrong and the belt gets thrown, a belt has much less inertia than a chain does - resulting in less damage to the engine and anything surrounding it.