Register now to get rid of these ads!

certain time of year to paint a car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leachafreak, Oct 4, 2010.

1. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

ok, i finally have the funds to get my car painted.i live in ohio so its starting to get down to the 50's and 60's out side.by the time the car is ready for paint it may be in the 20's or 30's outside.i want to paint my 54 hot rod flatz black.is it best to paint a car in the summer months so the heat outside will bake the paint on to the car?or is that just a myth?

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Although there may be some advantages to the "solar oven", I'm not sure it's worth holding off for warmer weather. As long as the area you're painting in is warm enough to allow good application of product (read instructions on label), you should be good to go.

The "solar oven" will get it's chance while you're driving next season. Stu

3. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Not really what you asked but my friend is a body man, he did his car in hot rod flatz and it came out terrible. Really blotchy, poor coverage no matter how he sprayed it. He wound up redoing it with base black and a flat clear and it came out great. Just something to think about.

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

If your painting indoors and the temp is high enough for the paint to apply you will be fine, but i agree with automotive stud, hot rod flatz is terrible to spray, you would be better off with a base black and flat clear.

5. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

so whats a good base black and flat clear to use?i dont want the black to be flat.i want a satin look.a black with a nice sheen to it.(if sheen the right word to use)

6. Flatlander

Flatlander

I agree with the comments above. I would also stay away from humid or rainy weather. Windy days tend to stir up the dust as well. Good Luck! Show us some pics when you are done.

7. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

Just make sure the reducer/thinner is for the right temp on the day you plan to paint. All the paints I've ever used has a "fast", "medium" or "slow" reducer available. It determines how fast (or slow) the paint evaporates to give a good flow out.

8. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

I vote for the winter months if you have a way of heating your garage.

no bugs

low moisture in the air - less water in the compressor/lines

your not dripping sweat when sanding/painting

dryer air helps promote quick drying of paints and primers

Just my opinion for a home garage w/ limited equipment

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I don't do any serious painting with temp below 70. Paint just don't flow well when it's cooler than that. Excessive thinning to accomodate lower temps affects application/ durability. Soooo, I opt for renting a booth when ther'es any reason I can't do it outside.

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If it's that cool I sure wouldn't be painting outside! But if you have heat inside its another story.
    Never shot HRF paint but heard lots of bad, a low gloss clear might really be the way to go, and that way you've got 2 layers of protection, paint and clear, not just paint.

11. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

Like it was mentioned above use the paint manufacture recommendations, if painting in a temp controlled place than temp should be easy to control.
    We just got done painting my 33 in our carport (enclosed with plastic) starting temp was 69 degrees ending temp was 75 degrees. We painted hot rod flatz gunsmoke gray metallic. Mix was 4 pts color, 1 pt hardener and 1/2 pt slow reducer. Used a de-vibliss finishline with #3 tip, 50 psi at the gun which put 10 psi at the cap. As said above the flatz has a tendancy to blotch if the gun is not set up properly and temp does not agree with the reducer. We got VERY minimal blotching with this set-up and we had sprayed a few test panels with different mix ratio's. 4-1-1 had best results for no blotching but to high of a sheen for me. Hot rod flatz spec say 70 degrees as the best temp for paint. So I feel that by using a faster reducer for lower temps would work, just means IMO that flash time will be longer, also I would not paint outside in 50 or less temp.

12. davis574ord

davis574ord

NAPA makes a killer store brand catalyzed sealer that dries satan finish, i swpreyed my wifes truck 2 years aqgo and it still looks great, and its cheep also, it sprayes really easy and flat, plus its catalyzed so it holds up really good 2 years so far and it looks like the day i sprayed it good luck!

13. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

hot rod flatz sprays fine. its the applicator not the paint. using a sub par gun doesnt help either.

imo flat clears are actually tougher to get to lay even and blotch free then a single stage as in hot rod flatz.

i do feel that sem hot rod black is an easier flat black to spray.

14. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

15. brokenman

brokenman

A slower reducer will give the finish more gloss.

16. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I never thought about changing the reducer speed, definitely will try that on the 55 panel. I am really a fan of the flat look

17. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

I used a Dupont Commercial Satin Black when I did my 55 Delivery. I used the "slow" reducer and painted it on a Saturday when the temps outside got to 55. That gave the car about 3 hours to set in the sun and "bake". Keep in mind that black absorbs the sunlight and heats up from that. When I drove the car back into the garage that afternoon the body was too hot to touch but it was still only 50 degrees outside.

Go to a paint supply shop and ask about a Commercial Grade Black. It has been a few years since I bought mine and do not remember the actual part# but it is common paint and was only about $100 for a gallon with the catalyst.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I agree with sik kreations. I sprayed my rpu with SEM hot rod black, & love it. It comes in quart kits, and gives I believe 1.5 sprayable quarts per kit. It is a single stage, which to me is easier to spray than a base & flattened clear.

It is VERY forgiving to spray. It lays down really nice, & dries very uniform. Also seems tough once cured, & cleans up perfect with spray detailer

I think they also may offer a different reducer for different temps. Since I am in Florida, cold temp is never an issue:D

It really is tough to photograph, it honestly looks a lot different in person - better I think. But here's a few pics of mine(no bikini models included:(), good luck on your project

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

thanks guys...alot of great info...only have the money to get my car painted once...or i will be rolling around blochy...

20. leachafreak

leachafreak
    from dayton,oh

the paint on my car is nice...it has been painted just a year or so ago...it is a two stage paint job.(base,clear)could i shoot over the existing paint job with a flat clear to get that satin look?or no because of the clear thats already on it...

Attached Files:

21. Oh man, my vote is to stay with the marina blue.

22. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For satin finish I've been using PPG Performance commercial paint. Black is well less than $100 a gallon with hardener and once cured quite durable. I've painted it at temperatues as low as 50 degrees and the only thing I've noticed is it takes longer to flash.

Attached Files:

23. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

nice job!