Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Ceramic Flatheads for home decor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LN7 NUT, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Can't imagine the time and trouble that went into these, they look a hell of a lot better than plastic though!!!! For the Flathead guy who has everything and I mean everything...............

2. moefuzz

moefuzz

Funny, that's what I think when I see a 350 in a 32.

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Wow!! Hot Rodders asking why someone would make these!! Are you sure your even a car guy?

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

LN7Nut, thanks for posting.
    It's Interesting to note that Neufeld is from the tiny town of Osler Saskatchewan having a
    military and Fire Fighting background.
    His Automotive side stems from his Grandfather who used to help the younger 'clean up' by
    washing the days grease off his hands with gasoline.

By Jen Budney
    Associate Curator at the Mendel Art Gallery in Saskatoon, SK.
    write up from “Flatlanders” Saskatchewan artist on the horizon catalogue 2008

Clint Neufeld’s sculptures involve an intricate play between contradictory forms, materials, and
    purposes. For the last few years, since graduating with an MFA from Concordia University in
    Montreal, Neufeld has been working with the most “Saskatchewan” of forms: engines,
    excavating buckets, and other mechanical devices that are employed with great frequency
    throughout the province. Yet, unlike the real objects, Neufeld’s sculptures are not made with
    industrial materials. Rather, they are lovingly handcrafted from such substances as porcelain
    and wax.

“Although I acknowledge one could read a comment on gender in my work, that’s not my
    primary intention,” Neufeld said. “I’m simply interested in taking familiar objects and
    transforming them just a bit, so that we can look at them from a different point of view.”
    Influenced initially by sculptors such as the minimalist Donald Judd, who simplified his forms in
    order to make people pay close attention, Neufeld has also been inspired by installation artists
    like Ann Hamilton, whose works are much more theatrical and literary. There is an element in his
    work that hearkens to a different time, a time that was both simpler and perhaps a bit more
    genteel.

The title of Neufeld’s sculpture, Ten thousandths over, refers to the standard to which a rebuilt
    engine is initially bored to, 10/1000 of an inch over the original cylinder size. Neufeld’s engine
    has been constructed form ceramic in parts, and decorated in blue and white in the tradition of
    Delft china. The engine rests on a metal cart, which resembles a tea service, but also recalls the
    carts used by mechanics to run engines to different locations for diagnostics. Neufeld’s second
    sculpture, the wax bucket, is part of a larger body of work called Model 105: the elegant series.
    In this work, a giant hydraulic bucket made of wax and fashioned with porcelain teeth, rests
    atop a chaise lounge on wheels. The image is incongruous, decidedly elegant as the title
    suggests, yet a bizarre juxtaposition of brute force and beauty, labour and leisure.

In some of its materials and its deliberate ambiguity, Neufeld’s work bears a resemblance to the
    early sculptures of American artist Matthew Barney, who shot to fame with an installation of
    barbells made of wax and petroleum jelly, a gym locker of pink plastic, and a cryptic climbing
    wall. Like Barney, a former wrestler and football player, Neufeld has a background in decidedly
    macho activities: before becoming an artist, he was both a corporal in the infantry and a
    firefighter. But Neufeld’s work is less jockish than Barney’s and more rural—and in this regard
    decidedly prairie. A stunning new sculpture recently displayed at the Montreal gallery Parisian
    Laundry—another engine, partially gilded and appliquéd with a delicate rose motif, and resting
    on an ethereal transparent stand—brings to focus the question of craftsmanship and the
    exquisite and delicate work that engine builders and designers do. In this respect, Neufeld’s
    work functions more as an homage to the traditionally male activities of building and mechanics
    than a critique of any gender associations. “Guys gathering round to tinker on car or truck
    engine together—it may be a dying art,” Neufeld says. “In part, what I want to do is celebrate
    this activity and all it entails.”

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0AeIrxrBDus" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="853"></iframe>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  5. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

What's next a Ceramic Deuce Roadster body?

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I NEED one of those Nailheads. Yes need. :p:p:p

7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Two words come to mind....."Target Practice".

8. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

Hear hear!

I guess most of the rest of us are secure in our manhood. ;)

I have a 59 Chev truck nose on the side of my house, so I found the idea of questioning these engines a little absurd myself.

He has engines and trannies, I want to see a working ceramic 9 inch ford diff! :D

9. BJR

BJR

He needs to rust coat the exhaust manifolds.

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Good way to keep a broken block from heading to the melting pot..............

4TTRUK

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

X2. Very cool nonetheless. And I generally dont like automotive kitch...

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Kevin, You rock.

13. I wish I had ths skill and though of that myself.

Those are really cool.

14. 1- shot slinger

1- shot slinger

Amazing artwork!

Most of you guys complaining just don't get it. The most true form of artwork is completely nonfunctional and usually causes a stir within an audience. I guess he's done his job.

To me, it's a great contrast, showing how gear heads hold these parts and engines to high standards of praise like an old woman would her collection of fine china. The flowers and gold trim just push the concept even further. Originally these pieces were cast iron and steel and built to last, now they are ceramic, very fragile and beautiful to look at.

A brilliant style of art, and for the guys saying, "Why" and "Add some flames and spider webs" you'll never understand it.

I wonder if the idea came to him while he was trying to ceramic coat his own headers?:D

15. Wonder how much they sell for. I'd like to see the molding process.

16. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Some awesome workmanship in those!

17. Crazy! The amount of work in those is nuts!

18. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Amazing quality work. Incredible detail. Full scale. Totally pointless.

I'll be adding this to the list of things I thought I'd never see in my life.

19. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

were can i order these at

20. terryble

terryble
    from canada

The Artist is from around Saskatoon SK Canada and recently had a show at the Mendel Art Gallery in Saskatoon. I believe it ended June 10th, google; mendel gallery saskatoon and they will have his contact info. Believe me they are beautiful and remember they are actual size. I have seen just flathead heads seperate hanging on a wall they are very impressive!

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I'm betting the price is high.

here are some photos of the process from his website

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

23. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Give that artist some metal to work with!!!

24. GooGooMuck

GooGooMuck
    from Tacoma, WA

I think these are awesome, I would want them to BE the furniture though. Perhaps a pair of Dynaflow end tables? Or a flathead under glass as a coffee table? Consider the other stuff people call or consider art, this is something we should embrace.

25. Ooh! I want that LaSalle(?) transmission!

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

27. He was interested in the subject matter, so he applied that interest to a medium he was familiar with... I draw cars, also pointless, because what good is a piece of paper with a drawing of a car on it? What is the point of pinstripes? Flames? a Ford in a Ford... because you LIKE the idea.

28. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A lot of "art" is kind of lost on me but this is something I get. Love the bits of gold on the first one.

29. Gromit

Gromit

I love the irony of the flowers.. pretty much the same pattern as my Mom in law's china lol! The work here is very cool. I don't have a big enough house though for anything that is form only and no function (c'ept maybe a lingere model)

30. Wow, those are a trip. No Hemi though?