Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Center brace on shoebox hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big creep, Dec 9, 2012.

1. big creep

big creep

Hey guys are the goods on the shoebox interchangeable? When I bought my shoebox it didn't have a hood. I bought one and don't know if it's a 49 or 50?

I tried mounting it but it just doesn't want to close, the back of the hood bottoms out at the top of the fenders. Anyone else have this problem? Wondering if the hinges are different with 49 and 50? I'm sure they are just need a little help cause I feel lost.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. tedster

tedster

Hinges are different from 49-50.

3. big creep

big creep

Center support would be different too right? And would 50 ford hinges bolt up to a 49 body firewall? Thanks guys!

4. In the Body shop manual they show a different part # for 49 and 50 hood skin. The easy way to tell is 49 had Ford in 4 individual block letters around the center arch. 50 Did not. 49-50 have different hinges also. I do believe you can use 49 hinges on your 50 with a 49 hood. You should also be able to change the rear inner structure between the 2 hood skins. You are aware the rear brace can be adjusted for and aft to help with hood corner clearance right? The 1/4" bolt holes are slotted. You should be able to make it work.
    The Wizzard

5. big creep

big creep

The good I have has to be a 50 then, it had 3 holes. And the center support is adjustable, but the read arms if my 49 are about three inches too short to reach in the fully closed position. So I don't think it would work unless I change the hood, or the hinges. But do the 50 hood hinges bolt up to a 49 body?

I have nos 49 hood hinges, now I either A. Buy a 1949 hood or B. but 50 hood hinges that's if they bolt up?

Thanks a bunch guys.

6. BRENT

BRENT

I have both a 1949 Ford convertible and a 1950 sedan and both the hood and hood hinges are different. Also the door latch and handle are different too. If you can stick to model year 1950 ford parts I would recommend it. I also remenber reading that 1949 hoods not latching and popping open, for the 1950 year this was fixed.

Im not sure if the model matters convertible vs sedan etc, but my 1949 convert had a centre stainless piece of trim plus a "gully" where it bolted to hood. The 50 is just steel. From what I understand the 1950 year was billed as "50 ways better" or something like that which I guess is 50 improvements over the 1949 model year.

Brent

7. 49-50 &51 all share the same cowell. That said, you should be able to mount the correct hinges for each hood to any 3 year body. I have no idea what that takes but do have the body shop manual that shows all 3. It was common to use a 51 hood on 49's and 50's for that custom grill treatment so should be able to go the other way. Wish I had more first hand info for ya. I think I'd try to find 50 hinges being they were an up grade and were used in 51 also.
    The Wizzard

8. big creep

big creep

pist n broke so the 50 should bolt up, any chance you could scan and post the pictures? i have the green bible and it doesn't really show much.

9. Let's see how this works;

Attached Files:

10. That's as far open as I can get the book. Didn't do much for part #'s. I have a 50 Vert in pieces and when building my 51 Vick I used it as a guide to repair my Firewall and A post. I also ended up using the 50 hinges on the 51 to get the car done. I have since replaced them with a pair off another 51.
    The Wizzard

11. big creep

big creep

Thanks for the info!

12. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Use '50 hinges and rear hood brace the ones used in '49 were junk. The rear hood brace on the '49 is weak and prone to crack and the hinges cause the rear hood to drag the cowl. The '50 hinges will fit the cowl, just need to drill some holes for the 1/4" bolts.

Toddlich likes this.
  13. big creep

big creep

Thanks homie!!!