Register now to get rid of these ads!

Centari finish... Help me please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Aug 31, 2009.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I have a question for all the gurus out there that have any experience with Centari paint. This is black that had a flattener added to it at the paint store for a semi-gloss look.

The paint was laid on just about 2 years ago. A few months (and getting caught in a downpour) later, I noticed when I washed it that there were "puddles" surrounded by white lines that would not dry off. After they did dry, very tiny white lines were left that looked like the puddles.

I have been caught in my fair share of Florida down pours and have washed the car several times over the last 2 years and the problem is getting worse. The pic below is what it looks like now. The white outlines seem to hold the water inside of them and it is impossible to dry the water off without the white lines "holding" it in. Eventually the car dries and the white lines are now more noticeable than ever.

I know my description sounds goofy so the pic is below. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks for any and all help.

[​IMG]

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

looks like dirt, dust and other crapola is getting into the paint to me... either that or its acid rain

3. Billet

Billet

Well as usual I don't have the definitive answer, I had the same problem on my OT truck in Arizona. After it rained I noticed the white rings around the "puddles" and after washing they quickly reappeared. I used a polishing compound to remove the edge of the puddles and waxed the truck and so far so good. My paint is NOT Centari but the effect was the same- I don't know if if was acid rain or the sun affecting the paint after the rain but it sure looked like shit. I'm sure some knowledgable member can give the correct reason and repair.
    Good Luck

4. onedge

onedge

I did some inner fenders with some gloss Centari black once added flattener to it & that white came out right away. I did it all in a hurry and the stuff had been laying around awhile so I gave it no thought.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. skullhat

skullhat

if it was a gloss finnish, it would be no problem, you could just polish it out.

flat finishes are a bitch when you have a problem like that. you can try comet, 3000grit paper, etc, but imagine your gonna have to re-coat it.

you could try a clay bar as well, but i must admit ive never tried that on a centari semi-gloss job

skull

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

My w.a.g. is as follows: What you have is paint that has been damaged by chemicals in the rainwater that have etched themselves into the top layers of the finish. The White areas are salt/ mineral deposits left behind when the moisture ate into and dried on the painted surface.

One possible cure would be to lightly buff the surface of the paint with a "grey scuffbrite'' pad to remove just the layers of damaged paint and restore a uniform finish. This is providing that the finish on the vehicle is thick enough to allow this soultion to work. A buffing pattern where you only move the pad fore and aft, no swerling or cross hatching allowed! I'd use some mineral oil (baby oil) with the buffing to keep the pan free-cutting and well lubricated. It may well take several buffings to remove all the damaged paint and to produce a pattern you can live with.

The other solution is the refinishing of the vehicle and future protection of that finish, not an easy task with a semi-mat finish!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "A Legend In His Own Basement"

7. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

that acid rain can be a bitch to get off of shiny paint, never mind semi. i,ve seen that shit eat right thru to the sealer! if it were shiney, you could probably get away with a scuff and a buff, but really no way to get it off there without damaging the semi finish. pimpin-paints idea sounds like it might work, if it does'nt, some one told me that if you wash the car with baking soda and soap, it will actually remove the white ring from the acid rain. while i've never tried it, i don't think you have anything to lose, short of respraying the car. good luck.

8. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Damn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the answers guys.

9. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Try washing it with baking soda dissolved in water. Baking soda will neutralize acids and possibly break up mineral deposits. Don't forget to wash in the shade. Water droplets can act like little magnifying glasses and burn the paint.

10. raceratrod

raceratrod

calcium in the wash water or you may have been next to a reclaimed water sprinkler system. It will also ech glass .
    I see it all the time at the dealer i work for in Fla.

11. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It looks like it's mostly mineral deposits to me. In your area, I would expect mostly salt. I would first try some white vinegar, or maybe some of the household hard water deposit cleaner, like Limeaway. Of course, test somewhere out of direct view and rinse well.

12. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I think that I would try wet sanding it and then buffing. If that doesn't work, all you have to do is mask to be able to recoat it.