Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Caught Culprit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 392, Oct 6, 2018.

1. 392

9FCC6E61-FDD6-4D70-B1D5-C14E71FE3AF8.jpeg I was having a cooling issue and checked and checked everything. Timing/tune, fan, water pump, pulley sizes etc. had a issue with thermostat housing not 100% sealed. I drained system etc and looked down at thermostat and said wow. It was a new thermostat. I guess I found issue. Maybe there are other caught issues with doing a task that you say holy shit.

2. BJR

BJR

Hard to tell from your picture, please explain.

3. or please post a clear, more in focused pic, something to do with thermostat I assume?

4. 392

Thermostat stuck open.

5. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Had same problem with a new high flow stewart

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^had same issue with a stewart high flow except mine stuck shut!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  7. Okay guys, please explain further. How does a stuck OPEN stat make for a cooling issue? Is it only part open? Is it not warming up enough? I'm not trying to be a Wise Guy but,, I thought open was a good thing.
    The Wizzard

8. A cold running engine never properly warms up.
    Deiveability is the big one.
    Can cause fueling issues
    Rich issues
    And in some cases hot spots in the engine itself

Have seen it with Chinese sbc rotor buttons where you do a tune up then a week or so later you get called back for a no start and the metal tang on the button that contacts the distributor cap carbon has fallen off

392 likes this.
  9. Deuces

Deuces

Made in China?????.......

10. OK, I'll bite. Just what kind of issue did that cause??

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

always test a new thermostat before installing

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Yes his picture sucks but the issue was figured out.

A properly designed coolant system requires the thermostat to cycle especially as it gets cooler. If the thermostat is stuck open it will cause the exact issues that @VANDENPLAS described. You that are confused may be from a part of the world where "cool" is 60 degrees.

Being stuck open is the best failure mode you could hope for but wreaks havoc on the fuel system performance.

Thanks for posting as this may save someone from going down the wrong rabbit hole later :)

392 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. With thermostats a non performing or no thermostat at all often causes cooling problems that most likely make the engine run hot. Hard for some to accept but a stuck open or no thermostat can make an engine run hot. This is because it allows the hot water coming from the engine to pass thru the radiator too fast to really cool down enough as it goes thru the radiator too fast. Same thing if you have a water pump with too much fins, it moves the water too fast to get fully cooled down. The thermostat controls the amount of water it allows to pass thru and this controls the amount of time for the cool air flowing thru the radiator to do its job.
    So a thermostat stuck open will cause an engine to run hot & so will one stuck shut, but for different reasons.
    Engines set up for street use need a working thermostat with the correct heat range for the engine set up.

Jimmie

14. 3F9F0C30-95C9-497B-9A8E-6063608E3A04.jpeg

And that’s why a lot of race engines use cooling system restrictors.
    Acts like an open thermostat so the coolant can “ stay” in the engine longer and pull more heat out. Then stay in the rad longer to expel said heat.

T/stat is a very important part of the cooling system and general engine performance and drive ability that more often then not gets overlooked

clunker likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Cummins engine company tried the “low flow” system a while back. It was crazy to see about one inch cooling hoses connecting the engine to the radiator. It was their theory that the slower the water went through the engine and radiator, that more heat would be transferred. It worked, but was abandoned shortly. Just food for thought.

Bones

16. WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57 Fargo likes this.
  17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought some thermostats from Rock Auto for my '51 Ford. I did it because they were dirt cheap (on close-out) and are supposed to fail in an open mode. I have had them in my car for two years, and it runs right about 180, which is the rating of the thermostats. I am very happy with them. I know my car, and if they should fail in the "open" position, I think I'd know it. In such a case, I'll be glad to drive back to my shop to replace them. I beats the hell out of sitting at the side of the road with a steaming radiator.

jim snow likes this.
  19. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Had inconsistent overheating problems develop with an OT rig (~6 yrs old at the time) on a trip back from FL that drove me nuts trying to diagnose. Finally did a parking lot 'stat change in VA, no more issues the remainder of the trip and until the rig was run to scrap years later. The original 'stat from new had started sticking part way open/closed inconsistently, first and only time I ever had one do that, always had them stick either full open or full closed.

Neighbor had on going over heating issues with his old Chevy wagon over 35 years ago even after changing the 'stat (had used a new brand name out of the box). Various "mechanics" had tried everything and spent his $$ to no avail "assuming" the new 'stat had eliminated that possible cause. I couldn't come up with any other advise so told him "it's a long shot but for the price they push them over the counter for how much can they afford to pre inspect them? Try another new one" Yup............

Just sayin'. Ya never know and can always learn.

Ed

392 likes this.