Register now to get rid of these ads!

Catagory 5 Cyclone hits Australia, What's up Doc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38standard, Feb 2, 2011.

1. 38standard

38standard
    from il.

Catagory 5 Cyclone hits Australia, looks like lot's of damage, is everyone ok?

2. you beat me to it....thought this cold sh.t was a bummer...until I hear about our mates down under - after all the flooding....now this...

how all is well....

3. Vee 888

Vee 888
    from texas

I have a daughter in Gladstone Queensland Just south of the path of the cyclone. looks like a big clean up but thankfully no loss of life.

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I heard on the news yesterday they were expecting 3 feet of rain and I thought 3' of snow we got was bad. I checked out Google earth yesterday, the storm is massive. I hope everyone's alright down there!

5. Tarlo

Tarlo

Here's a link to the radar loop if anyone is interested.

6. hudson48

hudson48

This was the biggest cyclone in history.It has devastated the northern communities,in particular Tully,Cardwell,Innisfail etc.Here is a link

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/yasi/8205599/yasi-unleashing-fury-on-qld-coast

The cyclone had a raduis of 500 kms out from the eye and winds of 300km/hr.It has been dumnping up to 12inches of rain in some parts.
    Currently moving west and will hit Mt Isa tonight.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

WOW, the photos of the devastation are just incredible. Thank GOD no one got hurt.

8. G'day all,
    We got very lucky down here near Brisbane, the Cyclone made shore much farther north. All we are dealing with here is the high heat, its midnight and still over 80*F and the humidity is close to 90%.
    I am however worried about people I know around the Innisfail-Tully areas that got severely hit. I am presently on call for emergency work up north, so I'm packed and waiting for a phone call.
    It may be day's to a week before we can honestly say if there really was no fatality's as there is a lot of destroyed buildings to be searched through.
    Our main saving grace is the building code for northern Australia, since 1974 when Darwin was leveled all structures have to be 'Cyclone rated', sturdy enough to survive a Cyclone. Unfortunately this one was a monster and didn't care for our measly building codes and destroyed what it wanted.

Normally a Cyclone/Hurricane dissipate once they strike shore, this one was so big it kept going almost 1000miles inland. Scarily now we face the same sort of flooding up north as we experienced around here only several weeks ago.

Just a point of interest, a Cyclone is just the term for a Hurricane in the northern hemisphere, the storm rotates in the opposite direction though!

Doc.

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

take care DOC,hope you don't have to work to hard

10. hudson48

hudson48