Register now to get rid of these ads!

caster?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mac miller, Jan 4, 2009.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

One thing I've never been able totally pinpoint is exactly the correct caster setting. I know what it is, how to change it, what it does and all of its "cause & effect" dynamics............. It just have never been able to determine that absolute "sweet spot" between minimum steering effort and "twitchiness".

BTW, I am a user of 8 to 1 ratio Schroeder steering gears so I am also aware of the relationship between caster angle and steering gear ratio.

What caster numbers do some of you guys use and why????

2. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I set up anything for the street that isn't expected to see the high side of 100-120 mph at 6-8*. If we build a car for 150 mph we look for about 10*. Any faster, I might want 12*. The point is that if you intend to be safe and manageable at those speeds, how it goes around a corner is of little concern and on the street, road conditions vary so much that a small ballpark of 6-8* is fine. If you are going to dedicate a car to short, tight course work, lean on the bottom end of the scale. I have never done dirt track work, but I can't imagine less than 6* being useful when you can steer with the rear tires the way they do on dirt.

3. fms427

fms427

Wow - I'm not sure there is any "magic" number - depends on a WHOLE lot of variables in the specific vehicle - steering system, tires, front end weight, arm strength :D, race or road, etc., etc. On my Crosley altered, with Ford tube front axle, I used about 8 degrees for the down-the-strip stability. On my Corvette GT-1 road race car, with 12" slicks, I use about 2.5 degrees so I can turn the sucker ! For production cars we'd use about 5 for power steering and 2 for manual steering. If you're talking about the car in your avatar, I'd probably be in the 6-8 degree range. but try some different settings and decide what you like !

4. Right now, on my modified (avatar) I have about 3 degrees of caster and, at 40 mph or so, I'm aware of a slight tendency for it to wander. It steers quite easy so I'll adjust it up to 6 or 7 degrees....I believe Henry's Fords used 6 degrees originally.

My sprint cars on dirt with power steering I would vary between 8 degrees on tracks with short straights up to 12 degrees on tracks with long straights and higher speeds.