Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cast Iron PG. Are the flex plates for V8 and I6 the same??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

Can anyone confirm if the flexplate are the same on a Chevy V8 and Straight 6 when using a cast iron PG?

Also is the plate that the starter sit's on the same for the V8 and I6?

Many thanks

P.:D

2. squirrel

squirrel

not likely, the 235 uses 3 dowels, the 265/283/348 use one.

The adapter plate is different, and the trans bellhousing is different, you need to get a 6 cyl trans to go behind a 6, or a V8 trans to go behind a V8. No easy swap here.

(Unless you're putting the V8 PG behind a newer 230/250 engine, then it's a bolt on)

3. I got a V8 if your in need.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I'd like to see the shipping bill across the pond

5. Paul Y

Paul Y

Thanks Squirrel,

Not for me, just trying to help out one of the guys over here. Was pretty sure it would not fit but always worth asking.

325W, thanks for the kind offer, you pick up the shipping and we have a deal!

P.

6. bryan6902

bryan6902

Wow! Cast iron powerglide, I hauled one of those around to about half a dozen swap meets before I got rid of it, just hearing those words makes me feel like my intestines are gonna rupture all over again. Good luck finding the stuff you need. The guy I sold it to was doing a numbers resto and was beyond excited to find it. He said back in the day he probably scrapped 25-50 of these in favor of the 4 speed or an aluminum glide.

7. R Pope

R Pope

First, there is no flex plate as such, it's the front of the converter. They are specific to the crank bolt pattern, and V8's are different to 6's. Also, as you mentioned, the starter is in a different place. You have to change the bellhousing, and that contains the valve body, so be sure to get a good one that hasn't been lying around rusting for years. You can swap the right bits on to a good trans, but you have to find them first!
    The early ones had a nut sticking out front holding the converter on, these parts are not interchangeable easily with the later version trans without the nut, so if you find one of these, pass it up.