Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cassandra, the sequel.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old6rodder, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Howdy,

Several years ago I started a lakes bucket style street build and came near to finishing it before I had to trade it. Part of the deal was that I'd help finish it. Unfortunately life got in the way and it gathered dust for awhile.

Well, it's baaaaack. The project changed hands recently and the new owner of the stalled project brought it back to me to finish. So here'tis .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cassandra's previous build photos are here. I'll add new ones as I get the work done.

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow i like it hope you post some photos as you finish it ,

4. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...I like that.
    I've always been a bit weak for minimalist Hot Rods and that nails it.
    The Slant 6...icing on the cake!

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

BTTT...for an interesting project!
    Just looked at your build pics...nice solid workmanship all over on a real old style Hot Rod.
    Really hope you intend to finish this off and give it some basic paint.
    It's a little ratty now but the potential is off the scale IMHO.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Usually not my CUP "O" TEA

But thats BAD ASS...

Please keep us posted..

Love it

7. fitzee

fitzee

This site use to be full of projects like this. I enjoy seeing them. As long as there safe and have no Skulls or spider webs.This looks like a fun car

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, Kiddies,

Life got in the way for a few years again, but I kept'er around, and finally got to get back to work on'er this year. :)

In the interim I came across a different mill, and decided to continue the project with that instead of the slant six. I still like the slant of the slant six, but'll now be doing it with an L8 instead. :cool:

A bit of back story on this car. It started as a parts pile my buddy gathered back in '71, did some assembly on, but sold to me a few years later when a move made it necessary. I took it quite a bit farther along, but swapped it for the parts for my HAMBster just before it would've hit the bricks. The friend I swapped it to later died, and his son eventually brought it back to me to finish whenever I could get back to it. So it's been over 45 years in the build so far.
    Who says "I'll get to it some day." doesn't actually happen? Especially when the thing keeps showing up on my doorstep repeatedly? :D

I've adapted the new mill ('40 Buick 248) to a first gen, push button 904, positioned the package, and'll be working out the engine mounts next.
    Four SUs for suck, and a cobbled header set for blow. Just a nice comfortable street machine for this old fart.

Here're a couple pics of'er today.

DSC00002 (1).jpg DSC00003 (1).jpg DSC00006 (1).jpg DSC00010 (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

As we get older, projects go slower. Knowing your style of building and devoting time to your projects I'm thinking it's going to be making noise and causing grins sooner than most would expect.
    Pontiac and International had slant fours, Mopar had the slant six so why couldn't Buick have a slant eight?

10. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

As stated, not a hurried (re)project. ;)

Finished up the tunnel. Not much space left for gas pedal & feet after surrounding that 904, eh? Have to go with a spoon pedal & heel rest after all.

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG

Included two hatches, for rear trans mount & front U-joint, and for access to fittings & adjustments on 904.

DSC00006.JPG

Also did (very) preliminary mock-up of carbs. They'll wind up about 5" lower, but about the same distance from head. :cool:

DSC00001.JPG DSC00006.JPG

Seat cushion boxes next, then finishing up the firewall. Manifold & headers after that. :D

11. Watching

12. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, got a couple more days to fiddle about in the garage. So ........ cobbled up the spoon gas pedal, and did the initial carbs mount. Used a head flange set I found on the Buick site, some EMT I had laying about, and a bit of plate for the carb flanges. All in all a nice couple days. Hope to get in a couple more in the next few weeks as well.
    Spoon 3.JPG
    1st mount 4.JPG
    1st mount 2.JPG

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

7 yr gap. Sounds like me

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I like this build, I can relate to it, found my '30 Roadster body in 1962, sold it and got it back 25 years later, nothing had changed on it. Bob

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Man...really like this build and the overall look the car has.
    You're stretching the envelope...by stuffing it with new ideas on the use of once common vintage parts.
    Thats always interesting... ;)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  16. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Managed a bit of playtime today, so added the balance tubes to the intake.
    Also started swapping parts from the 6 garbage SUs (I got in a parts swap awhile back) to paste together 4 that'll work. Number stamped the intake runners & carb bases so's I can keep'em in order in the future as well (beats juggling'em :rolleyes:).

C2 (1).JPG C2 (2).JPG C2 (6).JPG C2 (5).JPG

17. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Got in a few more play days, so did a bit more on the throttle linkage. Also got the rear brakes & parking brake functional (fronts need new drums yet), fuel system complete from tank through pump, and roll bar added.

Then rolled'er up to the HAMBster's trailer so I could bring the HAMBster down to go through the bottom end. Musical Cars is pretty much the name of the game when you hobby out of a 1918 one car garage.

DSC00002.JPG DSC00010.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00009.JPG DSC00011.JPG DSC00012.JPG

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neat O @Old6rodder...Did you have to modify the pickup/sump and oil pan to run in a canted position? Interesting as hell this is...;)

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

The engine's not running as yet (hence the "rolling" up). Yes, I'll be "tickling" the pan & pick-up as needed. The Buick has a floating pick-up, but I'll be using a modified slant six one instead. Will have to "adjust" the bottom of the Buick pan accordingly as well.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  20. BJR

BJR

Will the carbs run right at an angle, or do they need to be level?

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

22. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Float bowls sit upright on SUs, carb body runs at an angle. This disperses the mixture better, as it initiates from the bottom of the slide/throat and up into the "Kamm"-ish effect behind it.

chryslerfan55 and Hnstray like this.
  23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nah...it's all just a bunch of PFM.o_O

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Would that be Proximity Fragmentation Mines, Pure eFFing Magic, or Particalized Fart Mess? :D

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Partially Frayed Monkeys.

26. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I was wrong again. Oh, Piff. :(

Hnstray likes this.
  27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

"Piff From Monkeys"?

28. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, the Rose Parade's over, and the usual month's worth of follow up ran into nearly two this year. But in March I finally got back in the garage, and managed a bit of fiddling around on Cassi. I went through the four SUs, and ordered the bits & pieces I'll need to get'em up & operable (mostly gasket & seal sets).

I also cobbled up, mounted & connected the "common" shaft for the throttle, so the linkage is complete that far now. The return spring at the firewall's a temporary clurge only. Unfortunately, Burlen wants more than I can justify for their repro levers & adjustable links to the carbs, so that'll have to be the next cobble there.

Then, per an idea I had a few years back, I butchered a pair of slant six rocker boxes to mock up a cosmetic "cap" for the Buick rocker box. If it comes out decent I may go ahead and use it eventually, I rather like the way it could look.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Who says innovation is dead?

30. dang,..thot this thread was about this Cassandra...
    meltdown 15 043.jpg