Register now to get rid of these ads!

cash for clunkers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwicowboy, Jan 28, 2009.

1. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dear Fellow Enthusiast,

Last month, we sent you an Urgent Legislative Alert from The Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA) regarding a proposed “Cash for Clunkers” bill that would threaten our hobby. Thanks to your overwhelming response, this legislation was dropped from the economic stimulus package. Congratulations for standing up for your rights as enthusiasts!

We have just received a follow-up Legislative Alert from SEMA. New legislation (S. 247 and H.R. 520) has been introduced in Congress to create a national vehicle scrappage program which will give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in their “gas guzzlers” to have them crushed. This program would target vehicles with low fuel economy ratings of any model year. That means sports cars, SUVs, and performance-built vehicles could be crushed in exchange for a monetary reward.

The following information is directly from SEMA. If you would like to contact the lawmaker, follow the instructions in the alert.

Thank you for your time,

Your Friends at Summit Racing Equipment
    [/FONT]

2. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Thats actually very cool that people changed something... I was expecting everybody to bitch but nobody to actually do anything as usually seems to be the case...

So does this new legislation still affect hot rodders? is it the same thing dressed up? are, junk yard owners likely to scrap their classic cars because they're not economical?

Or is it likely to apply more to modern suv`s in scrap yards..

3. That's more like it. Putting the $$ back into people's pockets is always best. I wouldn't worry about them targeting rod and custom cars in general, but I've seen some that I could see going that way.

Bob

4. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

5. i would not take this too lightly , or as an annoying repost

i got the email from Summit on the Sema alert too. as i read it it's a entirely different bill , not aimed at old cars , but rather cars that are not fuel efficient. guess what? the stuff we drive are not fuel efficient.

for now it appears to be voluntary...but how big a step is it to go to a forced program? or for Washington to make it completely unaffordable for us to keep driving our old cars? the way i look at it , they are trying to paint a target on our backs...and they will keep trying until they do. their message is clear..they want us all driving little shit box hybreds or "non polluting " electric cars or riding mass transit

6. And now, suddenly, Big Brother has a much bigger hammer, and lots of congressmen to help him swing it. Write some letters!

7. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

As long as it is a VOLUNTARY program I don't see a problem with it. Most of what is turned in would be crappy 80's and 90's economy cars, minivans and such. I don't believe anything desirable such as camaro's chevelles and other old cars would be turned in. I also believe the car has to be registered and running to get the $500. We had an 88 chevy beretta that ran good but had high mileage and a rough body that be sold for $260 to some people to build a circle track car out of. If I could get $500 for it from a crusher program, hell yea I would have sold it to them

8. for those of you that are thinking right now " oh 36 , you are just a kook , that won't happen". i will be very happy to admit i'm wrong a a few years . it won't happen all at once, they will chip away in small amounts.....you not paying attention to this and your lack of protest is what they are counting on

there is a famous poem that starts with "First they came for......" and ends with "they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

9. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Where do you think the government gets the money to pay for the clunkers?More taxes one foot in and its all over for us.My last 2 cents

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When California had that cash for clunkers deal a few years ago there were a lot of photos of V8 cars from the 60's and 70' and several photos of mullet Camaros headed to the scrapper.

The misguided bill that got knocked down was intended to get people to get rid of their old cars and buy "NEW" ones as in 08/09 models off the lot.
    The people who started the bill can't comprehend the concept that there are millions of folks in the US who either cannot afford even the most basic box with wheels off a new car lot along with those of us who do not need a new car off the showroom floor to inflate our ego every couple of years.

I don't buy new cars even though I could because that 300 or so car payment every month goes to hotrod parts and sailboat parts most of the time and I would rather drive my 38 year old pickup to work and have the cash to spend on what I want to. I park it next to the guy with the Silverado with the 400.00 payment who can't understand why I drive an old truck when he is always griping that he is broke and can't afford to do anything.

11. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Does anyone care to hypothesize the reasons behind this?

I`m just trying to understand why its in their best interest to do this...

Is it, environmental? a cars a car, a non drivable car, isnt going to use any petrol , so its not apart from taking up a bit of land.. really going to change anything... bar the scrap metal, if it gets recycled...

or, are they trying to stimulate the economy? making people buy new cars, cos its good if people buy things rite now?

I`m all for saving the environment... but atm, the alternatives arnt good...

A aluminium and plastic box, that`ll cost a fortune... no thank you...

12. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

I thought that it was backed by oil companies, they could get pollution credits for destroying vehicles that had " bad emissions".