Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carter Stromberg Model WW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 24, 2011.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Looking for any and all info on these carbies. Carter Stromberg Model WW.

What were they used on? What is the cfm? Do they work well in a 3x2? And et cetera.

Thanks!

2. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96174&highlight=stromberg+ww

Also if you type Carter Stromberg Model WW into your
    browser, you'll find a ton of info. You'll just have to weed
    through it all.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the link!

Anybody running these in a multi set up? Do you like them?

4. I have two stock ones with the Backdraft air horn (53-55 Studebaker) on my Stude 289 in my Model A.

They work great and idle fine.

Attached Files:

5. Charlie DeLong

Charlie DeLong

Send a PM to "Abomination" on here. He has a lot of info. on these units.

Charlie :cool:

6. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Anybody got a source or part number for carb to intake gaskets???

Thanks!

7. Redbows35panel

Redbows35panel

These STROMBERG WWs (NOT Carter Stromberg WW) have the same base bolt pattern as the Rochester G2. Work outstandingly on multi-carb setups. Don't know why more people don't use them. A G2 core at the Swap meet can run $40/50 bucks. A WW $15/20 bucks and there are lots of them around.

8. Kev, If you can tell me what they're off of, I have an old Carter Carb book that has the service specs and OEM part numbers. I can look it up when I get home....

Didn't read close enough....if it's not Carter, I don't have the info....yet! :D

9. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I found just the base gaskets at Daytona Parts. The coincidentally had three left on the shelf. Good for me!

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

It's also worth knowing that the jets are the same as the ones in 97s.

QUOTE=Redbows35panel;6841247]These STROMBERG WWs (NOT Carter Stromberg WW) have the same base bolt pattern as the Rochester G2. Work outstandingly on multi-carb setups. Don't know why more people don't use them. A G2 core at the Swap meet can run $40/50 bucks. A WW $15/20 bucks and there are lots of them around.[/QUOTE]

11. carbking

carbking

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, but some of the information presented is true only some of the time.

Stromberg produced hundreds of different WW's for many different makes of cars, trucks, industrial, and agricultural engines. Just for grins, I checked, and have 479 entries in my database for Stromberg WW's. This does not count the Zenith/Stromberg WWZ which is two thirds Stromberg and one third Zenith, but has Stromberg cast on the side. Nor does it count the WW's big brother the WWC. As with other carb models, both the WW and WWC come in a number of different venturii for different airflow.

There are literally dozens of mounting (flange) gaskets used, as the flange gasket was used as a method of directing vacuum.

Jets in SOME of the WW's do have the same thread (but different attack angle) as the Stromberg type EE-1 model 97. However, there are two different thread sizes and 4 different angles.

The above being said, they are GREAT carburetors. The WW does have one design flaw; that of the aluminum throttle body. The aluminum oxidizes, and "sandpapers" the throttle shaft (and itself) oblong. When rebuilding any Stromberg WW, check the throttle shaft for wear, and automatically install bushings in the throttle body.

They are also easy to identify, as the part number (generally) is STAMPED on the top of the airhorn (no missing tags to worry about).

Jon.

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Great info Jon! I found some of your old posts on other threads via searching. Good info there too!

I think it was suggested these carbs do better with a straight linkage as opposed to progressive? Is that right?

13. carbking

carbking

Whether one uses straight or progressive linkage is basically a function of the individual set-up AND the likes/dislikes of the individual doing the setting up!

Since I do mostly street set-ups, I prefer straight linkage and size the carburetors accordingly. The straight linkage DOES require more homework before the fact; but the crispness of the throttle response is worth the extra work (at least to me).

As with any non-original carburetor placed in a multi-carburetor environment; one should normally totally remove the idle circuits and the power circuits from the secondary carburetors.

573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.

14. carbking

carbking

Things are a tad slower today than normal; and I had a chance to play with the database.

The following companies used the Stromberg WW (I didn't check the WWZ or the WWC) as original equipment: Buick, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, G.M.C., Hyster, New Idea, Packard, Plymouth, and Studebaker.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The WW was used as a single carburetor (different internal venturii) on engines from 224~401 CID.

The WW was used in a multiple environment on a 702.

Jon.

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks again for the great info Jon!!

Anybody got pics of some tripower linkage with these carbs?