Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter P4070 Failure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grudge, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Grudge

Grudge

Hello all,

My P4070 failed after only 300 miles. The electric motor suddenly stopped, but didn't blow a fuse. When it failed I put my hand on the motor housing, it didn't feel too hot. I've never run the pump dry. It's mounted below the tank, in a relatively cool spot on the frame rail. Here's my setup:
    IMG_4518.JPG

Has anyone had a similar problem with this pump? I'm guessing I was just unlucky and got a bad pump but it seems like a bullet-proof design, just want to make sure I'm not insane for installing a new one.

Gratuitous tow truck shot:
    IMG_4511.JPG

Aaron

2. Good rigging on the tow.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Btt.
    I can't help, but am curious. I plan to use a p4070 on my project.

4. If it didn't blow a fuse and wasn't hot it broke an internal wire unless you somehow lost power to it. Lock rotor would have either blown the fuse or melted the wire.

I don't often use carter pumps so I can't tell you if it is a common problem or not. maybe vibration got to it. I stated rubber mounting my pumps a log time ago. I tell everyone it is to protect it from vibration but the truth is that it is for noise. :D

volvobrynk likes this.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have used them on at least a dozen cars, some with over 20,000 miles, never had a failure. It looks like you have a filter between the tank and the pump, the kind I use, is a metal can type.

6. You and me both I think its a north west thing. :D

7. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

As a general point pumps prefer to have the filter on the discharge side. Anything that restricts the suction is a bad thing. Regardless I run a 6 volt version Carter and mount it in rubber with one fairly large filter on the discharge side. So far so good...maybe 500 miles. Note I run my pump intermittently. It is hooked to the start side of the solenoid I switch when I'm being stupid! Like wanting the 48's to make noises.

8. Buckster

Buckster

My Carter pump failed on my way home from the Moonshines Festival last fall. It had less than 10,000 miles on it & it was mounted below the gas tank & had a fuel filter mounted ahead of the pump. I was fortunate to only be 5 miles from home & was able to limp home by restarting the engine every mile or so. The original Carter on my car had approximately 30,000 miles & was changed out because it was getting a bit noisey. I did get it to work for long enough to relocate my car to a backyard garage by rapping on the pump's housing with the handle end of a screwdriver.

9. i recently purchased a carter pump and i found only two of the ones listed [jegs] were compatible with alcohol fuels or additives. when i called the tech guy confirmed this. i bought the "marine" pump.

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've been using Carter P4070, P4600HP for the last 45+ years and never had a failure.

One thing is that those filters are the worse in true flow rate. In many cases I have seen the inside element collapse, which in turn reduces flow to the point that it will overheat the pump. I use large, Hi Volume pre filters, so as to not create and reduction in flow to the pump. Once you have filtered the fuel to the pump, there is no point in installing another after the pump.

Another thing, are you powering the pump through a 30AMP relay?

Carter pumps are manufactured by the Federal Mogul Corporation and stand behind all of their products 100%.
    If the pump no longer works, call whom you purchased it from and they should replace it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. SlamIam

SlamIam

I use these on all my carburetor cars with good results. The P4070 is the standard replacement pump the auto shop used on vehicles at my workplace for years.

12. Grudge

Grudge

Thanks all, I'll change to a larger pre-filter and keep paying my AAA bill.

Aaron

13. Buckster

Buckster