Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carter BB 1 Carb woes- NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac the Yankee, Dec 27, 2014.

1. I’ve been working on getting my dad’s ’28 Dodge Victory Six back on the road- my buddy John flushed the tank and lines, and I have rebuilt the Carter BB1 updraft carb, but now the gas is just burbling out of the nozzle. Also, there is a 1/8” diameter passage through the top mount plate to the “step up piston”, and fuel is leaking/pushing past the carb/intake gasket.

This is an early BB1 with the brass accelerator pump and step up piston. It is not the original carb for the car (should be a Stromberg UX 2, and I have started looking for one), but it was on the car when Dad bought it in ’63, and has run well until the car was parked about 12 years ago.

Here are my questions:

1) I know that the idle adjustment screw/needle should be 1 ½ turns as an initial setting, but what about the main metering screw on the base of the carb?

2) Should I plug the hole in the mount plate that leads to the step up piston, or will some gasket sealer be enough to stop that leak?

3) Should the gas “burble” out of the nozzle, or should it spray?

4) Is there a better carb to use? This car will be a driver, so using a non-original carb is not as much an issue, AND I am concerned about using a carb with a mechanical accelerator pump and the possibility of leaking and fire.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  2. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Google www.daytonaparts.com I've been contemplating some of their "new" one barrel replacement carbs, I love the originality of my rochesters but the tuning ability of these argentine based Holley lookalikes are intriguing. I've been researching some on them and may give them a twirl for my pops triple carb Intake. They offer a high speed main het adjustment, & quite a few clever tricks. They are based on older American butterfly sizes like the old 2-11/16 n 2-15/16 Really neat piece. They have ethanol friendly metals & components to boot. Good luck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  3. flux,

Thanks for the link! Didn't see an updraft version, but great to know that there are good modern options for earlier cars.

For the time being, I need to get the car running with what I have- so bump to the top for the Sat brunch crew :D

4. carbking is on the hamb.

5. Well....there you go then.

6. Yup, I have spoken with carbking before- was hoping that he would chime in :)

7. Bump for the Sunday night crowd

8. Hey guys, if anyone is familiar with these carbs, I could really use your help!

9. burblling to me would not be good....just saying.....think it still should be a mist....I use that carb cleaner in the can sometimes with the the extra little spray nozzle to clean out some orfaceis? or be sure they are not blocked....

10. Thanks stillrunners-

cleaned and blew everything out and made sure that the pump and valve worked smoothly. Hardest thing is that the carb (and car) is 90 minutes away, but I'm hoping to get back asap-