Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carson tops - need some fl help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swifster, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Swifster

Swifster

As many of you may know, I'm the local insurance appraiser for a few Classic Collector insurance companies. I have a claim I would like some input on. The victim is a 1934 Ford Roadster/Convertible (roll up windows). On the gentleman's return from the Turkey Run on Sunday, the Carson Top came loose and seperated from the car. The current top needs to be replaced. The outside is a premium canvas and the inside is real leather.

This car does not belong to the original owner. Taking a guess, the car may have been built in the late '70's or early '80's. It's unknown who did the original top. For what it's worth, a pin snapped at the windshield and the left side is ripped away. It has a steel frame and cover that was fabricated to attach similar to an '80's Corvette glass top. You can see the pictures below.

Now for the questions, as I've never screwed with one of these. Is anyone aware of a shop in Florida that can make one from scratch? If not, what do you think a fair time would be to make the inner structure? Between the canvas and the leather, I'm already figuring around $2K installed. I'm sure I can get a glass price as necessary. Keep in mind most shops (and estimates work on a flat rate labor schedule. While estimates can be adjusted, I'd like to be reasonably close before trying to lock up my estimate. Thanks for any help given!

[​IMG]

These are the front latches...

[​IMG]

And the top...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WOW! That car just screams 1989!! :rolleyes: The owner should really take this opportunity to make that car look less dated.

Anyway, locally I'd try Emo's on Combee Rd. in Lakeland for starters.

3. Swifster

Swifster

Thanks Skip. I'll check with them tomorrow.

4. Any shop should be able to repair the 1 you have. The price you are useing at 2000. is about what it would be to fabricate the inner shell Looks medal. Fiver glass would be liter and easy!!!

5. brewsir

brewsir

can the original top be repaired and reupholstered? Just wondering.

6. If you want the best ...Paul Atkins in Cullman,Alabama

7. Swifster

Swifster

The top is pretty beat up from the impact with the pavement at 60 MPH. It's the frame work and shell that really is the problem. The front is also damaged from the wind grabbing it and trying to make a wind sail.