Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carson Top Project 52 Chevy Deluxe 2 Door Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52carsontop, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

A little intro, bought a 52 chevy deluxe 2 door sedan a few months ago. This is my first project. Figured I would just jump right in and learn as I go from mistakes and from the forum. Someone had the great idea to cut the top of of it. Say they did not realize what they were getting into... :eek: Someone before the last owner installed a 350 engine and 350 turbo trans. It has a subframe installed from who knows what.

From reading on here I learned I needed to stenghten the frame. So I added bracing to the frame and to the door post behind the front bench seat. Everything seems to be nice and strong.

Now to the carson top. This took me about 7 hours from the begining to the most recent picture. Built the frame using 1/2" conduit. Bent the conduit with my .... knee.... Yes it hurts now. Bought a tool to bent it but found I could judge and manage the bents a lot better with my knee.

Wanted to post pictures so I can get some advice from the guys that know. Like I said I have never dealt with metal and have only done a little welding. So I am asking for your opinion which I am sure you would give even if I did not ask... :rolleyes:

Everything is tacked in so if something needs to be change I can do it without a problem. Let me know what you think!!

Had a large roll of paper that I used to cover it. Did the best I could. ha
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

By the way have yet to work with the rear window. Trying to figure out what I want there.

3. swissmike

swissmike

It's not a bad look, but I think the windshield needs to be chopped 2" or so to flow with the rest of the top as you have it mocked up. Some of the curves of the top bows over the side windows don't seem to be as fair as they should ( hard to tell on my cell phone ;-). Try using a long (6' or so) 1"x1/8" wood batten to judge where you need to make corrections. Think of building the hull of a boat and every bow needs to make contact with the wood plank.
    Do some research how you can make the side winow channels, etc. lots of details that will make or brake the final result.

I would recommend a more rectangular rear window with rounded corners. The oval does not really go with the style IMO.

Good luck with the project. Take your time and you could turn this into a nice mild custom.

4. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I like it so far, great job!

5. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Thanks brigrat. I'm going to make a few changes but I'm getting close.

swissmike, I would like a chopped windshield but have two problems.

1. I have no one in the area that is willing to cut curved class.
    2. I'm running into height problems for the rear bench. The way it is now I will have to make a custom bottom to the rear seat that is only a few inches high. Not going to have many people in the back but would like it to be usable if need be. So if I chop the windshield the back would be lower than it is now.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Roll up your side windows, and figure out what you are going to do. If the car can't be outside in inclement weather, you've wasted your time. You need some u-shaped channel at the openings so you can add a rubber seal. Conduit simply won't work there...

7. swissmike

swissmike

I think the structure you built now is a little too low for the windshield. You will need a couple of inches above the windshield to form a nice radius into the roof. The rest of the structure seems to be several inches lower, especially the area going back from the upper corners of the windshield need to be raised and probably made a little more square.
    Try to search for pictures of carson topped cars and study the lines. It's still easy to make changes at this stage.

8. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Hey Special, what size should I use? 1/2" like the conduit?

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

No, more like 3/4"-1". It needs to be considerably wider than the window frame itself. Consider using the same at the leading edge of the top to the windshield. Find the rubber seal first, to see what size channel is required.
    I think my channel (from 1953) was over an inch wide....

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

Okay... I just measured mine to find out. Remember this is original from 1953, so it's correct as far as how it was done then. 7/8"

11. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I think it will definately have a cool look when its done. Listen to all the advice here but in the end its what is most pleasing to your eye.

12. Rikster

Rikster

I cannot say anything about the technique on how to weather proof it etc, but there are already enough people on here that can help you out with that.
    All I can do is respond to what I see, and what I see is that you sure have to skills to do a good job on it.

But.... they way I see it is your car will always look like a sedan with a cut of top and a padded top added. In my eyes there is nothing more ugly than a sedan/coupe looking windshield frame with a convertible or padded top added to it.
    In my eyes that will never look good, no matter how good the padded top in itself is looking. Where the top, the windshield frame and "vent" window come together there will always be a design conflict. It will always look like an after thought, like a plan-B.

So my advise is to modify the windshield frame to look more like a convertible, much more angular at the top. Rework the door A-pillars and create some real vent windows. They can be done in body color, thats not a problem.
    Then you can create a padded top that will fit right to both the vent windows and windshield frame.

13. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Special, thanks for measuring the channel for me. Going to an upholstery shop today to see what they need me to install so they can attach the fabric.

Rikster, I do agree. Really need to take this outside and take a good look at it. I don't want to put the money into the top if I don't like the flow. Again, I bought this car cheap as a first project to learn metal work skills so I would not mess up a nice car. I do think it would look better with a chopped windshield or more like a convertible. Going to do more searching and see what I figure out. Either way I really enjoy the process!

14. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Rik, trying to figure out what you are talking about with the a-pillars. Are you saying I should make them more on a angle? Also I don't like the vents also. Was unsure what I could use to make my own vents as far as the channels and frame work.

15. I agree 2 inches out of the A pillers would make a nice look. for a first shot I would have to say very nice work.

16. BICKFORD

BICKFORD
    BANNED
    from CA

There is a lot that needs to be done to make this look better.

1. You need to chop the windshield down a bit. you can buy a cutting disk and do it yourself. the guys that sell them will tell you exactly how to do it.
    2.Try to make the wing window look more like a convertible. That might be a lot harder to do.
    3. Pull the side opening back about at least a foot. That way you give the back passangers some kind oof window. Then you wont have a huge piece of material there.
    4. Re-work the rear part of top. Bring it up more and have it flow down later then it is now. Right now it looks like its going to be a 80's BMX ramp. It shouldnt look like a door stop wedge. things need to flow.That way you will get more head room in the back too.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you posted on here to show your work and we will speak up.

17. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

About chopping the windshield, i think theres something you are misunderstanding.
    You dont need to chop the whole structure you built, just chop the windshield (a-pillars+glass) then modify the front part of the conduit structure to fit.

Good luck and keep us posted.

18. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

A good photoshop from all angles will save alot of grief ..................

19. If you don't know the look you want, then you might want to step back and study the cars you do like (and especially the ones you don't) and go from there. Figure out what works and why. For example, on your top, the side glass shortened horizontally, but not vertically, doesn't work for me. Also, the extreme angle from the tall windshield to the rear of the car and then to the flatter trunk area doesn't flow. There isn't a line on the car that matches the roof, so it looks out of place.

The Abajian/Campbell Chevy is one I'd suggest for study...

[​IMG]

Several threads on this car including this one......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79351&highlight=abajian

Also...you can make a template from your windshield opening, send it to a shop, and they'll your glass cut to fit. Look up Bob's classic glass....he's an Alliance Vendor and I know he offers this service.

Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't think the unchopped top looks bad, I'd like to see a profile shot, but to me the shape of the top looks good. a chop up front would be better looking, but it would look good as is so far as the top is concerned.

what it needs in my opinion is to lose the "sedan with the roof cut off" look you have going on with the wing window area. no matter how nice the rest of the car turns out, that part would ruin it for me.

21. fbama73

fbama73

There's someone who will- you just haven't found them yet

22. Rikster

Rikster

I did this drawing for another hamber some time ago.

[​IMG]

23. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Really like the look of this one. Was it a true convertible? As I can see the vent window is a convertible vent window. That's one of the problems I'm going to run into. If I chop the windshield I will have to chop the vent window/frame. Not that easy...

Again. The top was already cut on this car. I did not do it. I would not have done it. So, trying to make something out of nothing. Thanks for the comments as that is what I was looking for.

24. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

I'm also not trying to build this chevy to look like a original convertible. If I wanted a original convertible I would just buy one. I'd like it to look like a mild custom. So being perfect to stock is not what I am looking for. Don't want to put a lot of money into it also as I know the resell value would be very low as it's not a true convertible. Have to be smart with my money and time on this car.

25. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

Here's a a picture of the upper windshield frame that I worked up. Not done with it but pretty close. Just need to clean it up some.

[​IMG]

26. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

This is what it looked like before... :eek:

[​IMG]

27. rat pup

rat pup
    from houston

Your doing a great job so far, keep posting progress pic,interested in tha top

28. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

For a Carson top this car to me has nice lines and would be a design to go from. Just one of my favorites even though it is a different make.

Dan

Attached Files:

29. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

no one has mentioned that you should be able to replace your glass to the hard top/convert glass, it is already 2 inches lower... then chop your top to fit....

maybe source some hardtop /convert vent window frames and integrate them to the door... you should be able to source these from any 49-54 chev/pontiac hard top/ convert, and make them work...

imo sedans with the roof cut off lose their look with the vent window door area..
    this is where I would spend some time planning...

what you have done so far with the windshield header looks good .

30. 52carsontop

52carsontop
    from East TN

So the hard top/convertible glass is 2 inches shorter? Is this the 52 chevy glass or a 523 olds glass? Thanks