Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cars that look like toys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I know that guy, they are clones. as a matter of fact I supplied him with the measurements to build the dragster. I used to own the real car and made measurements and sketches before I sold it

2. These hot Wheels kinda made me think of my 31???[​IMG][​IMG] 273.jpg

3. chevrolet50steve

chevrolet50steve

Here’s one for you,looks cool in the flesh and looking forward to the model

Attached Files:

4. Deuces

Deuces

Hot Wheels have redlines.....;)

5. 1pickup

1pickup

6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-1-4_4-33-30.png
    @LOU WELLS

Hello,

For as long as I can remember, 1940 Fords have played a big part of our growing up in the early 1960 through the the next 15 years or so. In high school, one of my friends had a red 1940 Ford two door sedan with a big Buick motor and LaSalle transmission that looked so cool sitting in the back row of our local drive-in restaurant parking lot.

Then I got my first 1940 Flathead powered Sedan Delivery. That gave me some odd notoriety as a teen driving a hot rod that no one had ever seen or knew what it was just sitting there. Sitting next to the custom Red 1940 Ford Sedan made my simple Sedan Delivery look like a show car. At night, under the drive-in restaurant parking lights, the Salmon Pink color of my sedan delivery looked like the sedan's bright Red color.
    upload_2022-1-4_4-37-15.png
    As the next step beyond high school had another plus factor after we got married. A 327 SBC powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery project was purchased and the work began.
    upload_2022-1-4_4-38-0.png Similar in overall looks, but a Red with a 327 and A/C.

Now from those early Sedan Delivery days to the present HAMB topics and hot rods, I came across the Green and Black 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery that just had some class and reminded me of our two old versions, with a different color. Someone else was enjoying the sedan delivery as much as we did.

So, one day I had planned on doing some custom painting on this sedan delivery model that I had picked up. The bright red color was going to be the 327 powered version that my wife and I drove all over So Cal and even into the mountains and deserts.

Jnaki

But this green and black sedan delivery kept poking its color scheme in my brain. Then reading the background on the HAMB about Lou Wells, gave me a great idea for a different look.
    upload_2022-1-4_4-40-5.png from one to a custom version...
    I turned the original funky color and design into the green with black version inspired by Lou Wells. It was fun making a small model of a cool real size 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery.

From the pandemic months of 2020…

upload_2022-1-4_4-41-39.png
    A small turnout for the annual “Gathering of The Tribes” during the pandemic lock down and health issues.

"So, one day(s) I was messing around with an old green Ford Sedan Delivery model car and it gave me a great idea. You have been a wealth of knowledge on the various threads here on the HAMB. This 1/64 model is a So Cal version of your car, complete with real rubber tires. It took me a while to get it close enough to be a twin to your car. The original plastic tires and gold rims...gone."

"Here the green/black Ford Sedan Delivery is playing around with his friends, my red 1965 El Camino and my custom version of the red flamed cement mixer truck that has been all over So Cal, since the late 60’s. My So Cal garage, like most garages is getting cold, so the 1/64 models are taking a break until it warms up out there. But, it is fun to roll them around inside of the house when finished."
    upload_2022-1-4_4-43-38.png

I am still looking around my parts bin and local stores for the yellow fog lights to keep it updated.
    upload_2022-1-4_4-44-22.png

Playing around with cars never gets old, although we all are... Cars that look like toys is all a part of individuality...

7. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

It's a toy I'd like to play with.

Nice truck.

Jack Wagon likes this.
  8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my coupe in the box, about 14 years ago, when our car club built our best to date club display, designed around the '60 3-in-1 AMT '40 kit. Thanks for the compliment!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Coincidentally enough I was driving my RPU out of a local Co-op gas station convenience store towards the end of this past summer and some kids were headed to the store and one said wow look at that car it’s just like a big hot wheels car.
    I immediately thought of this post. :cool::)

Just Gary likes this.
  10. ratrod0

ratrod0

11. RDR

RDR

always impressed with Ernie Adams Craftsmanship

[​IMG][​IMG]

seen giant pedal cars that are cool too

Ron Funkhouser, Sancho, brEad and 3 others like this.
  12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Incredibly creative...and really hit home with me...musta built that kit at least 10 times when I was a kid:D
    [​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and Jalopy Joker like this.
  14. Stock Metropolitans look like Elmer Fudd cars.

ClayMart likes this.
  15. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I built only one, in '60; it's in my office display case, and it's purple like my soon to be finished '40 I've owned since '65.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL. I'm sure all mine met their final demise via lighter fluid and fire crackers:eek:

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- lived in Hawaii when a kid, and had access to lots of fireworks

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Dad was a fireworks maniac and would make "runs" across the border to Canada...kept us well supplied;):D:cool:

20. Blake 27

Blake 27

21. cabong

cabong

The Dream Truck looked model-ish, so the Danbury Mint did just that..... bull truck.jpg DT 3.jpg

22. BDUB77

BDUB77

I think this picture of my roadster looks toy-ish
    up high 3.jpg

23. I took this picture at Nats East. A real full size car , and a kids pedal car. 20160604_130856.jpg

24. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

I love your car!

Never been tempted to see what it will do?

25. 36.jpg
    Something a friend conjured up on his computer.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I often heard the term, "Cartoon Cars" in reference to hot rods. That is until they get a ride in one, usually with one hand holding the bottom of the seat, the other grasping anything on the dash, body push back in the seat, and of course yelling at the driver/builder, "what the f****k are you doing"?

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I dunno about about toys... but I made a model box once... prolly the favourite part of the build.

IMG_9426.jpeg

28. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I have very limited knowledge of Hot Wheels, it came as a big surprise when a friend sent me the Hot Wheels Vairy 8 that almost matches my V8Vair
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    brEad, loudbang and Jeff Norwell like this.