Register now to get rid of these ads!

History cars on their sides

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Dec 31, 2011.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

after looking through all the pictures in the setting and rotting thread i see alot old cars setting on their sides,, why they did this.... in most cases all the parts are still on the cars... anyone have a reason..

2. the only reason i can think of is ease of accesabilty of the undercarriage ive seen alot ofcars on thier sides in yards in person i did sit a 55 chevy back down once

but in most cases i havent seen many parts removed from them its like they flip them up on the sides then ask how much for such and such a part then decide its toomuch them walk away leaving the car ...if iwent through the effort of putting the car on it side i dont think id leave the part i wanted in the first place

3. Yeah, used to see a lot of them on their sides in the old days.Easier to pull trannys (not the LA kind) and other stuff underneath.

4. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Like this?

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      157.1 KB
      Views:

5. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I remember some friends and I at a party one time drinking and we turned 2 old junkers up on their sides just cause we were drunk and wanted to, I guess just raising hell......I am sure were not the only ones....Jim

6. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Or something like this...

Attached Files:

7. i need to here the back story on this
    tk

8. I found a 39 ford on it's side once......grabbed the pedals and steering wheel. A buddy needed a frame so we dug down in the dirt to find the submerged part was too rusted to save. Yes, we had permission from the farmer who owned it.

9. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

oh boy! it wasn't me

10. raidmagic

raidmagic

I agree what's the story there

11. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Looks like an "Oh Shit!" moment.

12. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

13. Probably storage space room for more cars .Old junkyard space saver

14. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

Wow... Did the lift fail? glad it aint me

15. Mean Lean

Mean Lean

Well it was not my car or lift. I did not spoke the owner, just found it on a Dutch forum. The owner only just escaped from the falling car. It is on its feet again and the damage could be worse. There was some nut from the lift which failed. I do not know which nut, I don,t like those lifts anyway.

Attached Files:

16. I had worked in a shop ~ 1979 that had one of those electric lifts, someone let it down and only 1 side came down. Nobody hurt, but we had to call in a wrecker to get it squared away.

Bob

17. aaggie

aaggie

It was common in the Model T days to drive the car into a shallow ditch and put it up on it's side then pull the oil pan to freshen up the bottom end or work on the underneath parts.

I have an old book that shows how to cut up a leather belt and wrap around the rod throws to fix a noisy connecting rod. Old timers will confirm this was a real fix.

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. cheveey57

cheveey57

To pull out the tranny easier in a junk yard.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Around here it was so that who ever was scavenging parts could get to them without getting under the car. Back years ago when the scrap yards didn't like to take tin or didn't pay for it a lot of cars got rolled on their side so the frame could be cut out of them. It's a lot easier to pull the axles from one when it's on it's side too.

21. [​IMG]

Some times people do it just to see if they can. This one was stripped of its drive train. Note the size of the tree trunk grown through the rear windos.

22. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

For us, as kids it was easy to use a chain fall and pull the car over and strip the transmission or axles out of them then it was to lay under them propped up on what ever was laying around, guess I'm still here and not flattened out because of that.

Cliff Ramsdell

23. it's mine :(

the only thing I need to do is push the dent in the roof out.
    and some small dents in the door.
    the rest is done.

and buy a new carlift:D

24. dmw56

dmw56

A buddy of mine and I found 20+ pre WW2 cars in west Texas almost all of them were on their sides and the frames removed. We were told the frames were removed for the metal drives during WW2. Unfortunatly they were left that way and the side they were on were almost rusted away.

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

It's not always a bad thing. My T coupe project started with 2 cars one was on it's drivers side the other passenger side the top sides are pretty rust free.

26. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

years ago i was changing the main seals on my 84 cj7,you have to remove the motor mounts to get the pan off. i had a pole stand under the bell hosing.while across the shop washing out the oil pan i heard a loud crash and the jeep flipped over backwards off the single cylinder lift,,landed on its side in the shop..just missed hitting another truck in the shop.. we had to drag it out on its side so we could flip it back over...
    the seal went out on the lift...

27. I don't think I ever took a photo but one yard I went to a '50 or so Pontiac 4dr was up on it's side and a tree had grown up through the hinges of the open trunk lid until it filled them completely. Seems like the trans was out of that one, too.

And when we scrapped cars one year I had them dump one of mine on it's side for exactly that reason - it let me pull the trans out, in the snow, without having to lay on my back or jack that POS up.