Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Cars of Cuba

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "Wally", Nov 21, 2020.

1. "Wally"

"Wally"

Thought folks would like to see these. The stories of lost time capsules in Cuba are true. As a professional motorsports photographer I jumped at a chance to do a photo shoot in Cuba in 2016.
    There was also a Major World Event while I was there, right place right time. Here's a few Hope the link works.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZkDHqMQB73qElaYj1

"Wally" Cars of Cuba #1-0603.jpg

2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They never let any of them die... that’s for sure.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Linda (my wife) and I were able to spend a week in Cuba a couple of years ago. It's kind of like stepping back in time being there. Lots of older cars used for taxies. All of them seem to be in pretty good mechanical condition, but I did see some bodywork that looked like I did it. :eek:

Some of the drivers new a lot about the cars and others just knew they were driving "an old American car". This '56 Chrysler we rode in a few times was powered by a Perkins diesel with a 5 speed manual trans. The driver didn't have to sing to entertain us on the trips, the rear end was singing it's own song going down the road. :) 100_0845.JPG

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A make it work with what ever can be found,cars in CUBA today are likely to have any type engine out of anything,not always USA,can be using USSR,China any thing under the hood.

6. Lol
    Saw a 57 Chevy in pristine condition come clanking into the resort i was at.
    Asked the guy what engine is in it.
    Told me “ iss alll horiginal from de factory 1957 chebrorelt”
    Told him Chevy didn’t make a diesel in the 50’s!!!
    He giggled and popped the hood said it was some Russian 4 cylinder diesel mated to the oh powerglide!!

lots of 50’s stuff running around in great shape
    Model t I saw one year was beautifuly restored

They are the kings of enginuity over there !

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. When I get my paws on that mouse I’ll kill him!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. 2935ford

2935ford

Many of them are diesel powered.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  9. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I read an article about the strange little diesel swaps and it also said they are all bondo'ed up or fiberglassed bigtime. with wire and angle iron holding things together to a disturbing level.

Tman likes this.
  10. atomickustom

atomickustom

That is true, or at least it was. I was there in 2001 and 2002 and there were cars with plexiglass windshields, brush painted with house paint, and rust repair done with chicken wire and cement. (Yes, cement!)
    They all had worn out suspension and many were diesel.
    But Obama lifted a lot of the restrictions on Cubans living in the US, allowing them to visit relatives and bring in materials and parts and supplies. When I returned a couple years ago most of the cars had been properly repaired and painted, with new chrome and 1980s-1990s aluminum wheels and decent mechanicals. No more creaking, clanking, and screeching when they rolled by!
    Somewhere in Havana there is a 1958 Dodge sitting on some sort of heavy duty chassis (8-lug wheels) with what sounds like a tank engine. I want it!

11. Jay Allen from the Broken Spoke Saloon has been taking chopper parts down there for years to help the bikers out.

12. "Wally"

"Wally"

Hummmmm Post and picture disappears moments after I post?????

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Because they are being deleted for being off topic. Castro’s funeral has nothing to do with traditional hot rods

14. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

My dad was in the navy and at gtmo bay in the 80's. He has some interesting stories. He brought back a license tag. The top says USNB under the numbers it says G'TMO BAY. Got it out of the "junk yard" on base

15. "Cars of Cuba" got the book many years ago as a gift.......

16. "Wally"

"Wally"

Understand now, no problem. First timer.

17. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Was there in Feb. just as this Covid thing broke. Everywhere you look you would see DSC00800.JPG cool cars.