Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Cars of American Graffiti

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

As if we really need another American Graffiti thread I found this link too a website about all the cars of A/G on a Facebook page called "Paradise Road" http://www.imcdb.org/movie_69704-American-Graffiti.html. It's interesting that Bobbie Tuckers VW is actually a '63 and Curt's Citroen is a '67 when the move supposedly takes place in '62.:rolleyes:

2. Pretty cool how you forget so many neat cars were in it that were not the stars!

3. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The car to the left of millner's '32 looks to be a Porsche boxster which came out in '64 (I think) but then I'm not really up on my foreign cars.

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

"The car to the left of millner's '32 looks to be a Porsche boxster which came out in '64 (I think) but then I'm not really up on my foreign cars."

The first year for the Boxter was 1997.
    The one shown looks like a 356A (1955–59) or a 356B (1959–63)

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like just a regular olé 356...but I bet there are tons of car era bloopers if you really start looking.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. It's not a boxter,,it's a 356 coupe. HRP

Speed Gems and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet I haven't seen that movie in 20 years.

8. 4 banger 4 life

4 banger 4 life
    from ohio

Time to get it out and dust it off.. great movie....

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did something that I swore I would never do again and that was break down and take a photo of the grafitti deuce clone that was at the Portland roadster show this year but that was after being there a couple of years ago when there were 3 32 clones in the show and one yellow Model A coupe pretending to be an American Grafitti coupe. I remember watching that movie in the Theater and pointing all the non era correct cars to my wife when the movie came out.

10. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Looks like the coupe is hovering in that pic.

Insert corny Back to the Future reference here.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

LOU WELLS likes this.
  12. daliant

daliant

Beat up 67 Chevy? Hmm.....
    68chevy.jpg
    Yeah it's just a movie

Torkwrench likes this.
  13. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

If we're gonna talk non era correct cars in the movie.. This takes the cake.

[​IMG]

14. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Looks like a 68 or 69 impala. The quarter sail on a 67 is longer I believe.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Actually it's either a '67 Caprice or a '68 Impala Custom coupe.

The '68 Caprice had the same b pillar but no wing windows.

16. whare is Buddys 55 Nomad at airport scene
    Any one have an original un cut version like that was played at the San Rafael Drive in
    as a promotional before release it was much longer

17. look close under the engine vent there is no 1600 emblem so it is correct

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You guys do realize that this was a low budget film at the time.
    There would probably not be a H.A.M.B. or most of the other nostalgia related events and publications had this movie not been made!
    It revived an interest in what made cars interesting and fun when the auto industry was headed into the toilet,
    Just an observation, KK

Torkwrench, joel, Driver50x and 3 others like this.
  20. This put new life to San Rafael & Petaluma on the car scene

Atwater Mike likes this.
  21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

It's a '67 Caprice. The '68 Caprice had different roof and b-pillar. The roof and b-pillar of the '67 Caprice 2 dr hdtp was actually the same as the '66 Caprice 2 dr hdtp, even though the bodies were completely different.

1966 Caprice

[​IMG]

1967 Caprice
    [​IMG]

1968 Caprice
    [​IMG]

22. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

It sure does -- the whole image looks doctored.

23. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

The website says the scene is at 26:15 in the movie.

24. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

A very astute observation, tho----------------

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Having gotten into hot rods, after seeing this movie, in my area it did make guys dust off their old hotrods. A lot of the magazines got a shot in the arm and a lot of new titles started showing up.

When Street Rodder took off, quite a lot of the old hot rods fell into the creature comforts that started becoming available. PW steering, A/C, PW windows, Mustang II frontends and cup holders. Oh, pastel mono color paint jobs started showing up. I never got that paint style.

The older style hot rod group was small and often side lined. It wasn't until people got tired of seeing $100,000 Boydsters, that the grass roots hot rods started to get noticed. People who didn't have a lot of money, like me, realized that you didn't need to be a retired doctor to get into old cars. As the old style became new, it also became what I still see as faddish. There are a LOT of former street rods that got traditionalized in the last 15-20 years. I hate categories, when it comes to cars, I just like to see good work and design. I'll bet, when Ryan started the HAMB, he had no idea there were so many guys looking for the old style or a way to vent about it.

There are a lot of hot rods that got built because of this movie. It was an adrenaline shot in the ass. Muscle cars were all but dead. Vietnam was taking it's toll and we had a liar for a president. People just wanted to go back to a more laid back time.

It's easy, for some, to sit back and pick out the mistakes in this movie, but it's value as good entertainment can not be denied. The fact that we're discussing it, proves it.

Oh.... both the gold T Bucket and the red one, had tires that weren't correct for a street driven T Bucket in '62.

Torkwrench and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. That movie was the direct reason I have my '56 Ford. I was just 'laxing out in my recliner surfing TV channels & American Graffiti had just started. I had seen it many times before but I got the fever so bad that as soon as it was over I got online & went car hunting. I had always wanted a 56 Customline Victoria since I saw one on a car lot when I was in Wichita KS at flight training. I found a couple online, neither one stated they were for sale. I emailed one of them & asked if it was. They replied that they would sell it. We came to terms & I went to Castle Rock CO in Feb '08, with my son, loaded it up & left on 10" of snow & ice back to FL. That is the influence American Graffiti, the cars & the music had on me. I have the movie on DVR right now !! It will always be there.

27. I actually drove my 1930 Ford pickup to the theater to see American Graffiti and was kind of amazed to see a bunch of guys standing around my truck when we came out of the theater.

I bet Brenda & I talked to these guys about hot rods for a hour. HRP

[​IMG]

28. timothale

timothale

White ranchero ? ? I saw a white 57 or 58 chop top ranchero in a carport south of Gilroy a few years ago . The owner said it was in the movie. We still have A G saved on the tv but I haven't ran it again looking for the truck.

29. syxxstring

syxxstring

There's a white falcon wagon I spotted in a few scenes when I saw it in the theater release last summer. Its funny how you notice some of the same background cars reused.
    As a kid when I saw it, Milner's car was so cool. This time around I was really digging Ron Howards car way more.

30. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I know there's another thread about this truck somewhere else on the H.A.M.B. but here's an article about the Red '41 half ton Ford pickup, you know...the one with the parachute, From the movie.

Lifetime Resident of Petaluma, Jim Bergstrom focuses on Participation in American Graffiti

Hello, fellow Graffiti addicts! Welcome back to KIP'S AMERICAN GRAFFITI BLOG. Today's post is a recent reprint from Petaluma's local paper from Fri, 13 May 2016. My pal Jim and his red '41 Ford Pickup which was featured in several scenes in the film are the focus of the article.
    CHECK IT OUT!!!

HARLAN OSBORNE
    FOR THE ARGUS-COURIER | May 16, 2016

[​IMG]
    Jim stands proudly with his '41 truck. Photo: Scott Manchester Argus-Courier Staff

With the classic car show season rapidly approaching, many Petaluma car buffs are getting prepared by busily detailing, polishing and fine tuning their well-preserved hot rods, custom cars and roadsters. Motivated by a rock ’n’ roll soundtrack, they’re eager to turn back the clock to their coolest memories of toolin’ town by celebrating Cruisin’ the Boulevard’s annual Salute to American Graffiti on May 21. And since the homegrown car show and parade is all about reliving cherished car-culture memories, I asked lifelong Petaluma resident Jim Bergstrom, a 1958 graduate of Petaluma High School, about his recollections of that era.

While you may not recognize Bergstrom on the street, it’s quite possible you’ve noticed his eye-catching, fire-engine red 1941 Ford pickup, which he’s been toolin’ around in since he bought it in 1960. His pickup was also featured in a memorable scene from the movie “American Graffiti,” shot on Kentucky Street, where Curt (Richard Dreyfuss), encounters the Pharaohs.
    The pristine pickup is also showcased in artist Elise Durenberger’s current promotional poster for the upcoming event, along with the iconic ’58 Chevy Impala, the ’56 T-Bird, and the yellow deuce coupe from the 1972 movie.

If he ever chose to, Bergstrom might consider opening a “Petaluma Graffiti” information booth, or conducting tours of Petaluma’s long-forgotten businesses and landmarks. Living here since he was 9 months old, the 76-year-old retired pipe fitter certainly knows his way around, having resided in 12 different locations around town and attended seven schools: Pepper Kindergarten, Phillip Sweed, Lincoln Primary, Washington Grammar, McNear Elementary School, Petaluma Junior High School and Petaluma High School.

He’s been earning his own spending money since he was 11 years old, beginning with an Argus-Courier paper route, delivering the S.F. Call-Bulletin for distributer Clyde Gibby, and helping a veterinarian vaccinate baby chicks. While striving to become an auto mechanic, he worked for Pete Maggiora’s Mobil Service, Dillingham Flying A Service, Ed’s (Gerrits) Richfield Service, Tom Hooper’s Signal Service, Manuel Roche Auto Repair, Price-Roche Motors, and as an apprentice mechanic for Forrest Frey. Throw in a stint at Fred Hopkins’ Petaluma Shoe Repair, a caretaking job on Hopkins’ ranch and two different posts working on dairy farms, and it’s clear that Bergstrom was always employed.

“I think I knew just about everybody in town, which made it really easy to get a job,” said Bergstrom, without explaining why he changed jobs so often.

With attention focused on Cruisin’ the Boulevard’s parade of classic cars at the end of the day, Bergstom recalls stories from the good old days when the sound of squealing tires, peeling out, or “burning rubber” pierced the calm night air. He’s a throwback to those not-on-our-best-behavior days, admitting to the time he “just lit ‘em up” in front of Lund’s Drive-In and left a screaming trail of rubber, a performance that was witnessed by a traffic cop who didn’t buy his inevitable excuse of “my throttle stuck” and resulted in a disturbing the peace charge. And another incident, where he “smoked the tires” at a traffic light, before looking around and spotting his father in the car next to his.

In 1960, Bergstrom accepted a $2.37 an hour job as a pipe fitter at Mare Island Naval Shipyard, which blossomed into a 30-year career. He and his wife of almost 54 years, Leslie, were married May 25, 1962, which makes Cruisin’ the Boulevard’s question, “Where were you in ’62?” an easy one for him to answer.

[​IMG]
    (Click on pics to enlarge)

[​IMG]

Jim I luv ya man! thanks for your hospitality. It was also a pleasure meeting your wife and son at Petaluma Celebrates American Graffiti 2016.

~ FINI ~

NOTES: ________________________________________

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016