Register now to get rid of these ads!

CARS movie night at the drive-in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikidiablo, May 22, 2006.

1. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

So I'm working for some folks that own a few drive-in movie theatres in Tucson, San Diego, Salt Lake, Atlanta (Starlite), Rubidoux and Montclair CA. I am Tiki-ing out the Mission Tiki In Montclair at the moment.

The owners want to see if a group of cars or a car club would like to see the movie CARS at any of the drive-ins. They would open up the drive-in and snack bar about an hour and a half early at their locations. You could arrive early and tailgate/ picnic. You would have the place to yourselves and get primo parking spots. Set up the lawn chairs and bring along the kids who might have not seen a movie at the drive-in before.

Frank (one of the owners ) is a car guy and has joined up here on the HAMB. He can be reached at [email protected] . If you would like to get a group together and go on one of the nights that CARS is playing drop him a line. He will get you all the info y'all need. Maybe even put on a show at one of the theatres?

OK. here is the list

Confirmed

1. Bad Bob
    2. Hoovs42+4
    3. Altered Pilot+1
    4. Tiki Diablo =1
    5. Low Springs +2
    6.DRD57
    7.Derek Mitchell +1
    8.Cooter +family
    9.Mike (G9mickey) +3
    10.David (Happy Hoppy) +1 maybe
    11.Shaun (thekid) + 1 maybe
    12. Lawrence (lgh1157) +1 maybe
    13. Eryk+3
    14.R&C Lee + group from Texas
    Unconfirmed

1.Tetanus Shot
    2. Goozgaz
    3.Cyclone Kevin
    4.zealot9802
    5.Derek Mitchell
    6.YaDude
    7.RustyRedRam

Please drop me a PM TO CONFIRM.
    thanks

http://image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage...PYC7OJxo3rrv.N

link to map above. Please (from the 60 fwy) take Ramona to State Street and turn left. we'll be at the State St. entrance. This way we can avoid most of the speed bumps. We have two ways to get to screen 3 once on the theatre property. for the low and the LOW!

My cel is 323 899 5486 for those with questions on Thursday

2. I'll be seeing it at the Blue Fox Drive in, here in Oak Harbor, WA.

3. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

i would be up for something like that, but im not with any car clubs so im probably no help

4. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

It's been a while since I was at a drive in....don't they have those big bumps everywhere that would make it almost impossible to bring in any lowered car????

5. Kyle(666)

Kyle(666)

Yes. Even with only 2" blocks on my car i whince about every 5 feet when something inevitably scrapes. cant beat 5 bucks for entry and as many buddies as can cram in the trunk though.

6. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Let me know before hand & I'll try to get a few cars together & we'll take a cruise on over to Montclair. Just where exactly in Montclair is the drive in?

7. I'm in.Let me know when and where,and i'll tell the guys in my car club.

8. He's got to know it'll go over big at the Starlight.
    Could you find a better excuse to get together?

9. Tell him to run it as a double feature with "Worlds Fastest Indian".
    Tell him I charge 2% of his gross for using my idea.

10. Man I miss the drive ins...there isn't one near me anymore and I wish there were....Sad my kids will never know what one is....Maybe good for me since I am the father of a little girl....

11. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

I didnt even know there was a Drive Inn in Socal. If anyone wants to drive down together, Im in.

12. bigken

bigken

13. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I'm in for the Montclair show.

14. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

I believe the one in Montclair is on Mission and Ramona? Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but it is somewhere in that general vicinity. You can always head out to Rubidoux, thats a great area!:rolleyes: (Everybody from Rubidoux take it easy, I was raised out there;) )

15. spicoli

spicoli
    BANNED
    from in a house

i am up in phoenix but always down for a road trip. keep me updated about the tucson location i am sure i could round up a few people to make the trip down there as well.

16. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

The one in Montclair is on Mission and Ramona, between the 60 and 10 freeways. I was there this weekend watching movies with the kids. $6 an adult and kids under ? are free. The have alot of car type stuff related going on there.

They're haveing a big show, Tiki Invasion, on 8-5. Bands, cars, old movies.
    http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19579&forum=17&6

And yes, they do have a rough driveway to and from the theatres, and the big bumps to park on. No speakers, you use the fm radio to tune in the movies, each theatre has a differt station. 4 theatres in all.

We should all get together and go to the drive-in for this movie, would be a fun time for sure.

17. The Starlite is supposed to be cool. I'm sure we could get a good Atlanta crowd out for that.

18. YaDude

YaDude

i would love to go but i'm not a member of a club. i actually happen to drive by this drive in last weekend when i was picking up my side window glass. i never new this drive in was there before and the tiki caught my eye.

19. I took my kids to see Jurasic Park at the Highway 39 drive-in three nights in a row!They were pretty small.Dinosaurs on a big screen...nothing better!To bad they tore it down to build another f----g mall.I'm in,just need when and directions.

20. 63comet

63comet

I'd be down for the Starlight.

21. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

I'd be game for atrip to Montclair. Nothing like a bunch of old jalopies watching a movie with old jalopies.

RRR

22. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Cool guys, I'll try to answer a couple of questions here until Frank replys here on the HAMB. The drive-ins have the bumps, so yes we would have to make our way around them. I am sure it is very doable. Also if you car doesn't have a radio, you could bring a portable one to tune in to the movie. The Mission Tiki is going all out for a 50th anniversary party with bands , vendors, food, booze and cars. Von Franco is doing the art for the poster and tshirts with more details to be announced on this .

If you guys want to go with your clubs, any night athe movie is showing is great. I might be into heading up a HAMB night if that is what is needed too.

The theatre is on Mission and Ramona in Montclair CA. It is a couple of miles from SoCal speed shop and TCI for those tha know where these places are.

Cool follks,

Danny

23. Frank Huttinger

Frank Huttinger

Much thanks to Tiki Diablo for his brilliant work decorating The Mission Tiki Drive-in, and for telling all you folks at The H.A.M.B. about seeing Disney's "CARS" at one of our seven drive-in theatres. Yeah, we've got seven of them -- in LA's Inland Empire, San Diego, Tucson, Salt Lake and Atlanta (see details below for locations and contact info.)

We're sorta "last man standing" with theatres spread out across four states, all open seven days a week, all year (except in Utah in the winter) and all playing double features of all the current movies, all at a bargain price of $6 for adults with kids nine & under admitted free.

We love the movies. We love our cars. And, we love our drive-ins -- most of them opened in the 50s and 60s, but they've all been upgraded with the best and brightest projection and FM stereo broadcast sound. Now, what we'd love to see is lots more cool cars showing up to see movies under the stars. And, why not start with "CARS."

FOR CAR CLUBS: Here's what we'd like to do -- If you can put together a group of at least 25 adults in 10 or more rods, kustoms or classics -- we'll open the theatre and snack bar an hour early for you, so you can cruise and tailgate party until the movie starts. Just contact me [email protected] with your group's details, and the night you want to attend, and I'll set things up with the theatre's manager.

If you're into The H.A.M.B. but not into a club, and want to put together a group that's at least 25 adults, you can organize an ad hoc club, and we'll open the theatre and snack bar early for you. Just have somebody take the lead position to pull your group together, and contact me with your details.

"CARS" opens Friday June 9th and will play all through June and into July. Don't know what the second feature will be yet, but it will be suitable for kids. Friday's and Saturdays will be packed, so if you have a big group or want the place mostly for yourselves, a week night will be better for you. If you want, you can bring lounge chairs, blankets, and a boom box (if your wheels don't have an FM radio) -- but no alcoholic beverages are allowed.

FOR SMALL GROUPS OR FOLKS NOT IN CAR CLUBS, but you still want to see "CARS" in a great drive-in setting -- remember to show up early on Fridays & Saturdays. This movie will sell out. There will be a line when the box office opens. So check for show times by phone or internet, and come early if you want the best parking spots.

Here's the details on where we're located and theatre contact info. You can reach me at [email protected]

Mission Tiki Drive-in
    4407 State Street
    Montclair, CA 91763
    Show-times: 909.627.3564
    www.missiontiki.com

Rubidoux Drive-in
    3770 Opal Street
    Rubidoux, CA 92509
    Showtimes: 951.683.4455
    www.rubidoux.icyspicy.com

Van Buren Drive-in
    3035 Van Buren Blvd.
    Arlington, CA 92503
    Showtimes: 951.688.2360

South Bay Drive-in
    2170 Coronado Ave.
    San Diego, CA 92154
    Showtimes: 619.423.2727
    www.southbaydrivein.com

Redwood Drive-in
    3688 S. Redwood Road
    West Valley, UT 84119
    Showtimes: 801.973.7088
    www.redwood.icyspicy.com

DeAnza Tucson Drive-in
    1401 S. Alvernon Way
    Tucson, AZ 85711
    Showtimes: 520.745.2240

Starlight Six Drive-in
    2000 Moreland Ave.
    Atlanta, GA 30316
    Showtimes: 404.627.5786
    www.starlightdrivein.com

24. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Thanks Frank, been goin there since it was Mission Drive-in, take the kids and we love it. Live about 2 miles away.

And thanks for the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon before Over the Hedge the other night, Like seein those toons, brings back memories.

25. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Do we have a list started of HAMBers who would go to the Friday night showing of CARS? I'm not a member of a club but let's start a list to see what kinda numbers we're looking at.

Mission Tiki Drive-in:
    1. RustyRedRam

26. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Leaves me out, none of my rods have a radio.

27. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

There's always the possibility of finding an old GE solid state transistor radio at a salvation army. It worked for me. However, I'd rather listen to the car rumble than to music.

RRR

28. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Bring a portable radio, or listen to others radios, its worked for us in the past.

29. Elrod

Elrod

A couple of friends and I were at the drive-in just 4 days ago in Gatesville, TX!!

[​IMG]

30. I'm goin,and i'm bringing my buddies too.