Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Cars in old movies!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bad Bob, May 10, 2010.

1. This might seem a little weird,but....do you ever find youself watching an old movie,JUST to look for the old cars in it? I watch lots of old movies,Bogart,Cary Grant,Clark Gable,etc,and sometimes find myself not paying attention to the story and instead saying,"look at that one....and that one!". Any of you guys do the same thing?

Elcohaulic likes this.
  2. 1955 LEDSLED

1955 LEDSLED
    from LONG BEACH

I know the feeling. I watch movies with my ol lady and always seem to talk about the cars. Old movies always have the best cars..

3. Shawn M

Shawn M

Yes, I'm guilty, guilty as hell. Is there a cure?

4. All of the 50's and 60's Monster movies were great for cars,and Hot Rods too sometimes. The Blob,for instance. When the kids get in their Hot Rods to go and get more fire extinguishers. Really hard to see them,but you get a glimpse.

5. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

the Munsters car was cool...Bad Bob do you know what that thing was?

6. choptvan

choptvan

I pruposely rewind a movie just to look at the cars in it. Sometimes I even pause it to find out what kind of car it was! HA HA!

7. I loved the Blob not for the monster but the unusual 54 ragtop Steve was driving.
    another reason I watch old Perry Masons when I can.

8. ken1939

ken1939

There is an episode of The Munsters where Lily wants to get Herman a car. If I remember, he was getting a ride in the back of the hearse at Goodman, Goodbury and Graves.

She went to a local car lot and had a hard time choosing between a T sedan and a hot rod. She asked the gentleman if they could combine the two.

The rest is history.

9. What? The Munster Coach? It was a mix-match of car pieces.

10. I'm also guilty as charged. I just loaned a bunch of DVDs of old '50s monster and DJ B-movies to an old hot rodding friend of mine, just so he could dig the cool rods and kustoms. I constantly check out the cars (and, often, the women!) in old docos and films... :eek:

...Where's Boston Blackie's car these days?

11. Yep....me too! haha!
    The Munsters is an obvious one. I'm talking about movies where the cars are just background. I just watched Mildred Pierce,with Joan Crawford,and was captivated by the old cars! Another great one was Abbot and Costello. There's one where Costello drives through the wall at a race track in a Midget,and drives it all over town! I think it was Gilmore Stadium.

12. saints

saints

yep legend of bagervance or something like that......movie is full of model a's

13. pecker head

pecker head

I watch TCM all the time , just to look at cars !

14. saints

saints

o brother where art thow has some a's in it

15. Church Key

Church Key

The Giant Gila Monster is a great one, several hot rods in this cinematic gem. The lead character Chase Winslow ( Don Sullivan ) drives a duece roadster. The roadster was actually a real B/SR from Texas, that won one of the early U.S. Nationals.

16. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

yes i watch alot of movies for the old cars and trucks.thanks

17. I just watched a Billy-Bob Thorton movie,called "The Man Who Wasn't There",a noir style movie,where he narrates throughout. I've seen the same '36 5w go by in the background about six times! Lots of cool cars!!!

18. I saw that 2 weeks ago on our local cable. That Model A was killer. I like when he asks the Cop if he can get on it. Did you notice the 54 Pontiac grill being used as a rear bumper on the RPU the other guy drove. I picked it up today at Big Lor for 3 bucks. Wow this is weird it would be posted on here today. Too Cool

19. On the contrary; there's a reward! :D

20. HEY! Now I have to go rent that one,haha!

21. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

A local channel around here is replaying 'Highway Patrol' from the 50's. The show is SO bad, but I keep watching for the cars. I even caught a few very mild customs in the backgrounds. (Usually just a simple nose and deck job)

22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I'm guilty too!I would watch the old movies with my dad when he was alive.Ther'es also a lot of old cars in the three stooges.

23. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

Yes sir,I wonder where that thing is now?

24. Eight433

Eight433

Are you kidding me? Why do you think "The Wild One" and "Easy Rider" are two of my favorites movies? Some old cars, LOTS of old bikes!

25. 40Chevy

40Chevy
    from california

I watched a great movie the other day on the "THIS" channel. Thunder road with Robert Mitchum. He played a bootlegger in North Carolina. He drove a '49 shoebox with tri-power, and they showed the motor! Later he drove a '57 Ford. Killer movie!

26. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Yeah Bob....Im always checking out the old cars in movies old or new, but more guilty of tryin to find cars that are the wrong year for movie...as in newer then the stated movie year! Have not found many!

27. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

You can watch episodes of Highway Patrol on hulu.com, along with Dragnet, Adam-12, Emergency! and other shows that have a lot of good street scenes.

28. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Bogart always drives the (looks like) same 36 plymouth coupe in his movies.

29. BLACKIE HARVELLE

BLACKIE HARVELLE

their is one where a teen pulls a 50s chev vert out of a lake and goes to take this chick to prom and her older bro drives a chopped merci think its called book of love maybe?

30. My wife refuses to watch old movies with me for that reason, drives her crazy for me to be going, "Wow, a '36 Ford 3 window coupe!" all the time. I also like to watch for anachronisms, like a '42-'47 Ford "jailbar" truck in a movie that supposed to be set in 1940.