Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Cars in old movies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Apr 2, 2022.

1. birdman1

birdman1

Anyone else watch old movies just to see the cars?? Usually the best part of the movie.

Torkwrench and seb fontana like this.
  2. I enjoy watching old movies, the cars are a bonus, especially the old B movies.

The Cool Hot Rod (1953) .HRP

[​IMG]

The Giant Gila Monster ( 1959). HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jaracer

jaracer

Perry Mason reruns show a lot of 50's and 60's cars. In the later episodes Perry drove a Lincoln, but in earlier ones he was in a top of the line Ford even a Chevy. Paul Drake always drove Thunderbirds.

65pacecar and hrm2k like this.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

I am amazed when I see movies that I watched a long time ago to see how the cars have changed within my lifetime.

65pacecar likes this.
  5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I think that about my parents, mom was born in 1933 and dad was born in 28, both died in the early 2000s. I just thought of this they both drove cars in the latter years that were fifteen years old as I do.:eek:

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Perry on occasion drove a Cadillac in 57, along with a new Retractable, and Paul Drove a Corvette for a while as well. Perry drove a Buick for a while Too.

65pacecar, egads and SS327 like this.
  7. Mr.Norton

Mr.Norton
    from Sweden

My old Ford 46 business coupe, the green one, was in the movie LA confidential for about 10 seconds :)
    alot of nice cars in that movie /Hank DSCN1634.JPG

65pacecar likes this.
  8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really dig the street scenes in 30s movies for that reason. Robert Taylor and Janet Gaynor weren't the stars. His J Duesy smacked a 33-4 Packard pulling out (!) in "Small Town Girl" from 1936. Watch for it on TCM. A still:
    Screenshot_20220402-164833_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    65pacecar likes this.
  9. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I just re-watched Shawshank Redemption the other day and noticed a few scenes full of cool cars I didn't notice before.

65pacecar and Rick & Jan like this.
  10. Speaking of Perry Mason. There is an episode with a custom Buick Riviera and another where Mr. Mason gets a lift in a deuce roadster hi-boy. Wish I new the names of the episodes.

To see a cool speedster check out the silent movie called Wings.

65pacecar likes this.
  11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This might be a good time and place for me to ask...

When I was quite young, I caught just the very ending of an old black-and-white monster movie similar to the Giant Gila Monster where the owner of a hot rod uses his car to blow up the monster. And I've never been able to figure out what movie it is. Maybe you guys can help.

The hot rod wasn't a roadster as in the Giant Gila Monster movie. I think it was either a late '40s or early '50s model. Coupe or a two-door. Dark in color.

This is the important part that I remember... and the distinctive ending. And it might jog your memory.
    The monster and the car are in flames. The Chief of Police tells the owner of the car...
    "Don't worry, we'll replace your car."
    The owner replies something very close to...
    "You can't replace that car."
    Cuz he had spent every penny he had and so much time and effort building the car with his own two hands, don't cha know.

65pacecar likes this.
  12. I have that movie on tape! It is an episode of Mystery Sience Theater 3000 and is the funniest episode thay ever produced. It is simply titled Giant Gila Monster. "Now will you forget about the skidmarks!!!"

65pacecar, LAROKE and egads like this.
  13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes I do and by trying to find the newest car can tell when it was made,I recently started watching Highway Patrol and really like it.

65pacecar likes this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

Don't forget the opening scene to Indiana Jones and the crystal skull

joeyesmen, chargin03, hrm2k and 4 others like this.
  15. birdman1

birdman1

How about 77 sunset strip. Efron zimbalest Jr with the 1959 white t bird ragtop.continental kit and all!

65pacecar, hrm2k and dana barlow like this.
  16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mister Magoo

65pacecar likes this.
  17. Bet you there are more old guys here ( young kids back then ) that had more eyes for Connie Stevens :cool: ( blonde cricket ) than the cars :eek::D. I know i did :oops::rolleyes:.

65pacecar and '28phonebooth like this.
  18. Have you guys seen this? This is a database of cars used in motion pictures and TV. You can search spacific years and makes and it will show you all the movies or shows that particular make and model was used in. It's pretty damned neat.

https://www.imcdb.org/

65pacecar and Torkwrench like this.
  19. "Hot Rod Gang" 1958. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

65pacecar, hrm2k, tr_rodder and 3 others like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

21. Horn button looks something like ALFA/ABARTH.

g.jpg

22. Mimilan

Mimilan

Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spyder [The Alfa symbol is on the wheel]

upload_2022-5-13_23-24-53.png

blowby and 34 GAZ like this.
  23. finn

finn

I was on a B movie kick a few years ago. There were a lot of them on YouTube at the time, along with Dragnet, Highway Patrol, a couple of good Leave it to Beaver, Dobie Gilles, 77Sunset strip, and even some Mae West, Laurel And Hardy, and Three Stooges episodes featuring Deuce Roadsters and 36 five windows.

On a more personal note, my sister passed recently, so that prompted us to set up a borrowed slide projector and pan through a dozen trays of 35mm slides my dad took from around 1960 through the mid eighties. Lots of cameo shots of cars from the very late forties through the early eighties, but mostly mid fifties through about 1970.

65pacecar likes this.
  24. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

This movie is pretty bad. I'm curious about where the cars came from. They must have worked with a club, or something.

This is just a trailer, watching the whole movie can be a strain. I think it is on Amazon. It was fun to look for all of the screw-ups. Highback cloth seats and what not. There is a scene towards the end with the whole hot rod "gang" having a shootout with the monster. Quite a few cars, some of which looked respectable. Anyone know who they belonged to ? Mike

lurker mick and Speed Gems like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not an old movie but just watched Hidden Figures on Amazon. One scene showed 3 NASA women employees broken down in a '57 Chevy 4 door in 1961. Funny how the cop who contacted them was driving a 1964 Ford cop car. Other period correct cars in other scenes as well as actual footage of cars on the beach watching the Mercury launches.