Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cars for sale and other ads

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by wuga, Jun 23, 2018.

1. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ads in the classifieds.
    1) Why is a particular car for sale featured in the featured threads?
    2) Why are some. ads repeated 10 times, can't people just BTT. Wading through all this repetitive stuff makes it hard to find the good stuff. ie: I just searched 'station wagon' in cars for sale as I have done many times. Three ads in particular come up a total of 22 times on the first three pages.
    3) Would it be possible to have a delete button on classifieds accessible only by the original poster or a moderator. Everyone, if they do, marks their sold ad differently and some ads have been on there 5 years.

I'm sure browsing only active ads and only once would get stuff sold faster and easier when you don't have to wade through all the junk.

Warren

town sedan and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Why?
    Ah, the most consequential question ever asked.....
    Usually has no definitive answer.( But it does get a bump)

Hnstray likes this.
  3. ken bogren

ken bogren

Here's an option, click on the sellers profile page and then click on the ignore link.

That will eliminate all their ads from YOUR view, they still be there for everyone else, you just won't see them.

Of course if tomorrow comes and they post something you really need, you won't see that either.

I'd guess most just don't know to post a comment on their old ads to BTT.

4. Perhaps the ads could just expire automaticly. I search and find ads that are 3-5 years old, it is just noise and of no use.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that the "why" is because some people don't know how to find their add to do the BTT just as some can't find their old thread on this board and post a new one on the same question. Some people just don't know how to maneuver around on the board or may be too lazy to search down though the other adds to find their own if they don't know how to go to their profile page "what's that?" and find their postings. Not really worth bitching and whining about as there are a lot more important things to actually bitch and whine about. Just scroll on by and go on about your business.

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

6. 1) Why is a particular car for sale featured in the featured threads?

#1 Probably has something to do with how many times it has been viewed.

2) Why are some. ads repeated 10 times, can't people just BTT

# 2 I honestly don't have a clue but I would think the OP has a reason.

3) Would it be possible to have a delete button on classifieds accessible only by the original poster or moderator?

#3 - This one is easy,In the past there was a option to delete ones ad and that led to some disputes between individuals, then when it was brought to the attention of Ryan to intervene on someones behalf it created a problem if the ad had been deleted.

Today a classified can only be deleted by the administrator or moderators.

Just be thankful Ryan offers us this service,I'm sure there are times when it is a major pain for him and the moderators. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True there. Just as my thought on old threads on the main boards should automatically lock after a certain period of inactivity with only the OP being able to re-open them after that period. Example: you just know the day is coming when some First time poster after finding a thread via a google search asks 3 Window Larry or one of other late members a question on their build that only they could answer properly.

8. I am the Administrator on a small site, the 54 Ford Club of America and with a less than 700 members it takes me a while to stay on top of the main board and keep a watchful eye on the classifieds.

I can't imagine the amount of work involved on a site as busy as the hamb. HRP

prewarcars4me and lothiandon1940 like this.