Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cars built from leftovers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. krooser

krooser

You mean you can build a hot rod from NEW PARTS? Huh?

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Leftovers? Kinda sorta... When I built my first car I was told some of the parts wouldn't hold up behind the 57 Vette motor... Over time I located a 36 rear to replace the 33 unit... I was told I'd need a backup for 39 trans so I picked up a 39 Lincoln and later Zephyer gears... Picked up aHalibrand non quick change but the 33 unit was differant... Fast forward 30 years and guess what - I never needed them... Meanwhile, I picked up a body cause it was neat and didn't take up much space... Then my oldest son started driving the 33 more than me... Parts still held up but he drove it harder and tailgated... I decided he need some sweat equity to appreciate the time and parts it took to get a car on the road... Since I had almost enough spares to build a car we started a new project... The we started into " I " when school, job, & family took over his life... Now I have another hot rod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn...some of you guys have some pretty nice "spare parts"...lol.

Glad to see this thread got rollin'.

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

5. woodienut

woodienut
    from So.Cal.

6. rancid737

rancid737

7. That's great. I'm pretty sure that the duck billed platipus fits into that catagory as well. :D:D

When you get right down to it unless you build or buy a check book ride all brandy new stuff it is built from leftover parts.

I put a small block ford together from left over parts once. The base was a rotating assembly left over from build I did for a fella. I had an old block and a pair of Clevland heads. I had to scrap together an intake from pieces of exhaust pipe and some 18 gauge left over from floor boards for a coupe. I don't recall what the cam came from. but it was all pretty much stuff that I had left over from building stuff for other people. I di buy a pair of head gaskets, the rest of the gaskets were either used or made from gasket material that I had.

A kid I knew was bucks down, had a couple of kids he couldn't feed and was going to get a job. He had a fairlane more door and needed an engine.

he told everyone it was a boss 302. It was just a claimer motor, but it was the best I could do for him to help him make a start. I don't know what ever happened to it, or him for that matter.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  8. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Here is what was a leftover rear clip from a '31 sport coupe. Added roadster doors and cowl, and there you go!

Attached Files:

9. Tommy454

Tommy454

O.K. I'm in....
    56 Chevy 150...Was going to be a father/son project until the kid decided he wanted a Camaro. Dragged it to the shop with a load of parts; and with my partners help a week later it looked good enough for ebay. Really pissed him off!:cool:

Attached Files:

10. Bill - I love that car!! very cool!:cool:

11. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I posted elsewhere today on my next project going on. But here I am building a 1929 / 1930 Track T with multiple pieces from various years. 1928 / 1929 Briggs body cut in half to fit the Duval windshield within the body lines. A 1953 Mercury flathead V8 with a 1952 Mercury 3 speed transmission. Late style rear end with 65 Buick 45 fins drums with the Ford center hub with the 47 Lincoln backing plates. 16X4 front with black wall tires rear 16x5 black wall tires 1932 front chopped radiator shell. Early style fuel tank above the rear buggy springs. See photos below.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I can count on one hand how many new parts went into my car. Not all the used parts were laying around my garage, but they all came from either a friend, neighbor, or someone's garage used.
    Of course I couldn't find used paint, so had to go with new on that! :)
    [​IMG]

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

1971BB427....That is BADASS!!!!!!!!!!

15. fms427

fms427

OK - here's mine..... All either home built or stuff I had or scored on HAMB....

Attached Files:

16. Neglected Steel

Neglected Steel

17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Pile of stuff from a cut up 51 Chevy

[​IMG]

Finished Speedster.

[​IMG]

18. ^^^Holy Crap, that thing is badass!!!! I don't see anything that resembles a '51 Chevy except maybe the shape of the door skin. That is too cool.

Lemme guess...Harley V-Rod front wheels?

19. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

any of the rods you and Rob put together are good canidates to post up pics here

20. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Right on the wheels. Shop # 10 stepped up for me on those. Running all the v-rod brake parts. The build is here. Thanks.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344501&highlight=hoodlum+update

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body:

1946 deck lid for the rear
    Model A cowl skin
    1916 Maxwell doors
    home made grill

Chassis:
    Discarded Model A that had 134 holes I had to fill then box
    1936 Ford front axle - 1961 T-bird drum brakes

Running gear:
    1985 Mustang GT with home built tri-power
    T&C wide ratio toploader
    9" rear w/ 4.11 posi

Paint:
    flattened black with backyard flames

22. Here's a couple that were done from left-overs, discards, etc.
    Please keep in mind this was during the 80's.

Attached Files:

23. Ironshot

Ironshot
    from Las Vegas

Very nice builds everyone!

Here's my 'cruckster' that's in the works. The leftovers/scrap I've used so far are a Wheelbarrow firewall recess (recommended by a guy years ago who used wheel barrows for firewalls in the 50's and 60's on drag cars, turned out better than I thought), a trampoline frame, a bed frame, an old gate/fence, and sheetmetal from hvac stuff. The only thing I paid cash money for was the $8 heavy duty gate hinges for the tilt roof (none o that squeezing through a tiny door due to chopping). It's weird, but the design came to me in a dream I had about being at the ww2 era salt flats and I drew it up and months later decided "why not build it?" And got to work. Based originally around mid-20's dodge pickups and got ideas from dozens of 20's and 30's trucks and coupes. Don't know how "traditional" this is, but when done it'll certainly be a "hot roadster".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well as far as i see it, they all run on used parts

25. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Check out the new "Road to Bonneville" posts. So far it looks like five cars are all being built from parts laying around the old ranch. Five twenty something guys are building them with the intention of driving them to Bonneville and back this August. Cool stuff happening there.
    Dan

26. snakecbaker

snakecbaker
    from Keyser, WV

Ironshot any update on the 'cruckster'. Would like to see how it came out.

27. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

March 19, 2012...last time he logged on.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Older post I know but I can also see the 51 hood where it was cut in two and flipped on its sides after swaping sides for engine cover, But I wouldnt have recognized it with out the hint about the 51 parts being used.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014