Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Carpet,rubber mat or nothing at all?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 24, 2017.

1. My old beater has a 1/2 " thick rubber mat that was give to me and I don't have a clue as to where it came from but my original intent was for heat and sound under the carpet,it's been more than 20 years and there is still no carpet,it's just not that important to me.

So my recent acquisition also has rubber mat on the floor and I am told this came from tractor supply and I actually like it better than carpet.

[​IMG]

In Brenda's wagon carpet is from the front to the rear and for her car it looks great although even the wagon came from the factory with rubber mat front and rear.

What's in you car/truck? HRP

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Danny...
    That 1/2" rubber 'mat' is actually conveyer belt material, if it's real hard... or good carpet padding, if real soft...
    ($$$, if hard...Rather than waste it in a car, I'd place it in front of my Sioux valve machine! Or my 1928 Allen Electric Co. lathe!)

I looked at Tractor Supply for some rubber mat for floor boards, if they carry it I couldn't find any that was suitable...

When I had my shop, I bought some (52") off a roll (48" wide) from Orchard Supply Hardware. Great stuff!
    I cut it to fit my '33 pickup...
    This was in San Jose, CA. (1978)
    They have since cut back on most useable 'materiele'...

32Tudor396 likes this.
  3. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should be able to buy stall mat's at your local farm supply house. We use them in our horse stalls and they work great as matts to stand on in front of your machinery.

4. From what I was told the mat at tractor supply is originally made for use in animal enclosures. HRP

Rubber mat

dana barlow likes this.

5. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Then it should be perfect for a hot rod!!

6. squirrel

squirrel

I have the appropriate flooring in each of mine. That ranges from nothing at all (just a worn coat of red oxide primer) in the "race car" Chevy II, to full factory carpet with lots of sound deadener in my 42 year old Lincoln.

A beater should get whatever you find that's cheap and easy to install....if you think it really needs anything, that is.

Pufff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"From what I was told the mat at tractor supply is originally made for use in animal enclosures. HRP"

Maybe they didn't want to chance insulting me with this beard!
    I'll return, and try and ask all the right questions...:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. I get it,old goat!...naaa :D HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  9. I always default with a rubber mat when I can, it's better for wear, easy to clean and spill proof. I think the only car that has carpet is the Studebaker but it has mega floor mats from Costco. Oh yea the El Camino has carpet but I found some old mats at the wrecking yard (in the early 90's) that go from side to side over the center hump....so basicly a rubber mat.

Remember these:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Johnny Gee likes this.
  10. rjones35

rjones35

I just installed a molded carpet kit with deadener up front, then just peal and seal deadener in the back. Before that I had nothing and it was too loud. Haven't driven yet, but it better be better than it was!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

joeoldsrocket likes this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

In my A, the heat coming off the metal floor boards was unbearable, I had to do something about that. So I used the peel and seal stuff from Lowe's, then plopped some of the old felt style carpet padding down on top of that and then bought some cheap throw rugs from Home Depot and cut those up to fit and put them down on top of the padding. My intent was this would just be temporary, that was over a year ago, and getting good carpeting installed is way down my list of things to do. It's kind of a beater and I actually like it that way.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If and when I get to that point it definately will be rubber matting for my roadster.
    I worked with a guy years ago that did a city bus to RV conversion and he bought a roll of reeely heavy black sheet stock for floor insulator, it's only 1/16" thick but this stuff feels like sheet lead.
    He sold me the remnant and I'm gonna see how it lays down first but I may just use it as sound deadener under my mat for the major flat areas.
    Makes no sense to have carpet in a topless roadster in Oregon, better known as
    "it rains a lot there I hear".

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Had an uncle who put linoleum in the back of his 60s party van years ago:D

I recently helped a friend put spray in bed liner in the floor and trunk of a slightly o/t vehicle, He will be putting carpet over the interior but maybe not the trunk, It really looks good.

patmanta and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. I have some 60 mil reinforced rubber roof membrane that I will be using in both of mine...probably with some sound deadener underneath.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Bet that was hard on the knees. :D HRP

slimcat7m3 likes this.
  16. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Danny now days you always gotta go with at least a rubber over nothing at all, there's some weird shit out there. Gotta cover up.:confused:

Johnny Gee and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. Rusty my friend,you are one sick puppy! :D HRP

Johnny Gee likes this.
  18. lowrd

lowrd

Tractor Supply, they can order the thickness needed. Worked for me.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm, bare floors or carpet came to mind for some odd reason. :oops:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Yeah,they have a lot to choose from. HRP

Rubber mat

21. RE: my unfinished panel truck.... it's black stained plywood in the back and raw steel with cut holes and weld slag in front. I'm going full boat for my custom streeter with oriental carpet in back, main color wine or burgundy, and solid wine/burg for the front floorboard and up the inside fire wall to the lower dash.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Depends on what the car is. On the roadster I just had the floors sprayed with bed liner. Think that will work for a sound deadening and don't have the worry when it's gets wet. Just my thoughts

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have ran nothing but a metal floor in my Valiant for 20 years. Easy to spot water leaks that way! LOL

I coated it in POR15, and was happy with the look

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. The boss lady's wagon is covered with carpet,even the cargo area.HRP

[​IMG]

49ratfink, dana barlow and i.rant like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Very tidy, looks like the boss don't allow no greasy engine haul'n in there Danny!

26. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Stair runner carpet..Thin, durable and easy to clean..

Attached Files:

27. Your right,no greasy engines although I have been guilty of throwing a old blanket back there and hauling junk to the swap meet. HRP

28. A Boner

A Boner

If it's a show rod=carpet
    If it's a driver hot rod=rubber mat

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Gman0046

Gman0046

Rubber mat would be my choice due to durability and ease of cleaning.

Gary

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look to some our suppliers for factory rubber flooring for your car. Our new 55 Ford Sunliner had rubber flooring and was still in the car when we sold it in 63. In the 50's especially all the cheapest models for salesmen had rubber flooring. I remember a 57 Chev 2 dr wagon a buddy had in 62 was all rubber too. With sound deadner under it should be great if that's the look you want and it would be form fitted too. Good luck.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.