Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carpet dye

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Darin Younce, May 12, 2019.

1. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Went to Walfart and bought the only blue rit die they had. Got home made a small batch (16 oz ) and tried a sample area , matched near perfect . The carpet is in good to decent shale but for some reason it has faded as though someone bleached it, even where the sun never hits. Forgot to take pics , will take some tomorrow.

2. Carpet die

Did you kill the carpet (die) or did you change the color (dye)? :D

My first experience with dying carpet was back in the 60's, I changed the color from blue to black, it turned out pretty good but took a while to completely dry.

We ran around barefooted a lot during the 60's and in my rush to get the car back on the road my girl friend and I ended up have to wear the black off the soles and toes for the next few weeks. :rolleyes: HRP

3. OLSKOOL57

OLSKOOL57

Remember the dyes well, how about the upholstery dyes also?

I

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Geeze , I get into posting and forget to edit or recheck my spell. dye dang it .

King ford likes this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Fixed it for you

lothiandon1940 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. We all have done it, just messing with you. HRP

7. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

Yeah, but I really messed that . Geeze I am getting pretty bad . Btw here are pics. The pic with the red line shows the original color on the left , everything on right is the dye. Looks a bit lighter on pic but this was me just dabbing a bit so I think a really good saturation will be better. The other pic is bottom of drivers door , funny how the old carpet faded. i did a dab on bottom left corner.

Attached Files:

8. Used the red rit brand off the shelf from joanne's to do the carpet in my 55< worked like a chram, matched perfect. saved me a ton of money for now.

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

We also tried some clothes dye, on some small areas of worn and faded carpet. The colors can be mixed to get as close to the original color as possible. But, going from one color to all black is the easiest to do as nothing shows up in black. The matching of a little red or blue is a color challenge in itself.

We were glad it was not a large section, but in the area near the heel rest areas. For the small areas in the black carpets, the waterproof marking pens did the job in matching the black color for us.

Jnaki

The dyes can be used on upholstery, but we did not need to fix any surfaces. Once we got some grey leather bucket seats and got some small, but noticeable marks on them.

So, we found some leather dye or leather paint for the small scratches. It worked well.

upload_2019-9-11_3-21-20.png
    From an old post:
    Hello,
    I needed to cover a couple of scratches on some grey leather seats. I went to the leather supplies store and then a shoe repair shop. I picked up this bottle of actual, grey leather paint. The paint did not dry hard like most paints. It had some flexibility and covered the scratches as well as can be. The leather store said they would have to sand, buff, re-apply the leather dye, and do a final buff of the leather to make it look like the original. Of course, the leather fix-it charges, were quite high and was not worth the effort. The disassembly, transportation and being without seating for two weeks were just a little too much.

But, if your project is quite extensive, then you might want to consult an upholstery shop for more details.

Jnaki

JNAKI, JAN 5, 2017

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I’ve used spraybomb can dye on carpet, not sure if that’s the best way. Remember a used car guy painting faded or stained carpet when I was a kid