Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carolina RPU Build (AKA Norb Special)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k5hart, Feb 26, 2015.

1. My good buddy Dave asked me to start a build thread here on the HAMB to share his build of a pretty bitchin' RPU. It's not going to be 100% traditional but it's going to follow a traditional theme and hopefully you guys will get a kick out of what he's doing. In the end it's going to be a nice, reliable, drive anywhere truck with some really unique touches.

So enough with the babbling. Here's the history. Like I said this is my friend Dave's truck but he's getting a little help from some other good friends and long time car builders, Bob and other Dave (how's that for confusing). This project started out with a Last Refuge (Norb's place for those in the know) RPU body, Model A bed and tailgate, and one of the their '32 style frames. Hence the AKA name. Dave knew some of the bad history of Norb and we warned him to read the reviews on the internet but he took a chance and ordered one. He did get some of the run around with un-realistic delivery time and broken promises. But...through it all Norb did keep in touch and finally delivered, actually bringing it to S.C., in a few months. The quality is great and there have been no surprises so far.

Here's a day of two after delivery set up in Bob's garage.

And this is what started the whole idea in motion.

chriseakin likes this.
  2. Dave picked up this bitchin' GMC 292 from a friend of ours EdWeird here on the HAMB. It had been built by his father who has since passed and it had been sitting for a while. He picked up a cool reproduction Howard 5 deuce intake and Fenton split exhaust manifolds. He got it running but unfortunately a couple of issues have caused the decision to rebuild the motor once mock up is done.

The trio has been knocking this build out very quickly. In a few weeks they have almost mocked the whole truck up.

The windshield is also one of Norb's Duval styled piece made specifically for these bodies. It's a pretty cool piece and really well made.

Bed is just sitting here for the moment. It will be mounted to follow the profile in the cab with filler plates fabricated.

I'll post some more information later when I have the time and keep posting updates as I get them. I hope ya'll enjoy this build.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  3. Looks good so far.Different approach on engine.

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

a nice project , I like the engine choice ,

5. That's a long engine,did they modify the firewall? HRP

6. Great engines and really hard to find. It took me a year to find a 270 for my '59 GMC. That little truck should not be hurting for torque.

7. Listen to this Jimmy mill

8. man that thing looks cool hope it will make it to the beach for the eat and meat. So will Ed pull some stripes on that .

9. It came with a recess but they still made a small modification on firewall where the back of the valve cover hit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  10. Doubt it will be ready by then. They are busy at it but not rushing. Plus the engine needs to be pulled apart and rebuilt. Im not sure if Dave has any plans for stripes. Good question.

11. Unfortunately things have been busy for me so I haven't been by to get pictures like I wanted to. Here are two I hadn't posted showing the steering colum.

It's a '40 Ford modified to fit. Shifter is actually going to be manual as Dave is using one of three options he has, a T5, Saginaw 4 speed, or tri-five chevy 3 speed overdrive. I think he is leaning to the T5 at this point. Pedals you can see are out of a late '70s chevy truck made to work. Hand made tranny cover. There is actually a Bob special hidden turn signal lever tucked up under that dash.

As of Wednesday this week they were already begining to disassemble things to begin paint and finish work on the chassis.

Hopefully more to come later.

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

My kind of RPU.

Look forward to seeing more of this build

13. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

I really like the look of the last refuge cab. I'd want to turn it into a lakes modified. Subscribed

14. Long overdue update. A lot has been done to the truck. It's really coming along nice. It's been blown back apart already and painted red oxide primer color. This is the color it is staying for now. Motor should be back from the machine shop in a week or two.

Making some bed filler panels. IMG_2186.JPG IMG_2187.JPG

Side view. IMG_2188.JPG

Firewall close up with recess for the GMC six.
    IMG_2189.JPG

Start of the windshield mock up. IMG_2190.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG

Pedal assembly with custom linkage for the drivers side mounted brake master cylinders. Notice the plain flat dash is gone! IMG_2192.JPG

Bed mounted, suspension done, and gas tank done. IMG_2231.JPG IMG_2232.JPG

Side shot of the bed mounted with some custom tail light work going on. IMG_2235.JPG

Big upgrade on the dash. Modified '32 with Auburn style insert. IMG_2236.JPG

Cheezy kid picture of my future hot rodders. IMG_2237.JPG

15. One more picture. A really nice bed made with some really old wood. Wood.JPG

Attached Files:

bct and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. A couple months have gone by so it's time for an update right? The truck is pretty much finished. It still has a couple things to finish, bugs to work out, and proper paperwork to get legal. Can't wait to take a ride in this with Dave.

The little GMC. Completely rebuilt and looking good.

IMG_2464a.jpg IMG_2465a.jpg

17. Some side profile shots.

IMG_2467a.jpg IMG_2470a.jpg IMG_2471a.jpg IMG_2473a.jpg IMG_2474a.jpg

18. Killer letter job done by Edweird here on the HAMB.

IMG_2468a.jpg

Cockpit views. The dash is just sexy and that wheel is just icing on the cake!

IMG_2469a.jpg IMG_2472a.jpg

That's it for now. I have a short video of it running I'll post up when I figure out how to get it off my phone. It's a great sounding 6!