Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carl's Speed Shop KCMO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flamingokid, Oct 7, 2009.

1. cat12686

cat12686

If you all are trying to find out information about Carl's I could probably help. My grandfather owned the place.

2. cat12686

cat12686

I could probably get old pics also...[​IMG]

3. cat12686

cat12686

That's my fav t shirt from there

4. OK, Cat, time to start with the stories and photos!

5. flamingokid

flamingokid

Well,I've been researching this and digging for old pics from this area,any help would be appreciated.

6. I remember ' Veto' at Carls. You could buy legit parts or warm parts, never knowing which you bought. I missed the final auction by one day. Not knowing the day after were piles of old speed equiptment, Olds Cad Stude that people bought but took what they wanted and left the rest. There was a basement in that building. There was a small plane with wing removed in the basement, Piper I think. Many rows of shelves there also. Great place!!!!!

7. Jimv

Jimv

I think every state has a "Carls" speed shop( some spelled with a K) In Rhode island you couldn't swing a dead cat with hitting a couple of them!!lol
    JimV
    PS Plaque is very cool. Talk to Dennis O'brien he found a carclub plaque for me that there was only 6 made.he is the man!!

8. I can remember going there a lot. Seeing the picture of the building brought back lots of memories. I was also at the drag strip at Ozark Mo when Lou was killed. It was suspected to be a "mob" hit. Sabotage. Another place we all went was Lockwoods to get our custom paint. Metalflake and the like. Momma Lockwood was a tough old bird. Seems like she had a pair of bad dogs just in case there was trouble.
    Later,
    Dick

9. Actually there was a lot of Mob activity there in KC back in the day......

10. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

Very cool photo and stories, I'm all ears for more!

11. Fenders

Fenders

Aluminum hot rod plaque?
    Where is Obrien Truckers ? ...............

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

My Uncle "Vito" & Uncle "Tony" Says the Mob is just a myth:D

I see you are in olathe, Come to the Saturday night cruise in independence this Spring and I can introduce you to a few guys who can tell you alot about Carl's Speed Shop....Also a real good scorce of info would be "Ray Ericson" He is one of the coolest guys I have ever met. Goodluck

13. flamingokid

flamingokid

Thanks,I'm currently on the lookout for local speed shop stuff from KC and Omaha.It looks like the original pic of Carls isn't up on the site now.I'll definitely be at the cruise!

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

i was at ozark the day cangelouse was killed the car was pretty much destroyed--was a feature car in Hot Rod ---that track had a curve in the shut off area---never should have been a 1/4

15. flamingokid

flamingokid

Here's a couple of pics of his cars

Attached Files:

16. flamingokid

flamingokid

Another of the "Missile"

Attached Files:

17. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I was there that day too.

18. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Mr Lockwood was mellow though!

19. cat12686

cat12686

My Papa Bill Taylor owned the place. Vito Calia worked for him. There was a plane in basement and I just talked to my dad who said there was a bunch of old three wheelers that police drove in the basement also. If you all have any more specific questions I can probably ask more I just don't get on here a whole lot. I'm sure there are plenty of stories I could gather up. Would have to sit down with my grandfather when I get time or talk to my father a little more...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  20. cat12686

cat12686

21. cat12686

cat12686

my email since I don't get on here much if anyone has any more questions [email protected]

22. Abomination

Abomination

I think it would be badass, if the T-Shirt art was still around, to sell a few reissues to some interested KC guys.

Look up grim on here - he's been putting together breakfasts for the KC crowd to get together. His dad owned Wild Child's. :)

Maybe your grandpa might want to get out and maybe run into a few old friends!

~Jason

23. cat12686

cat12686

My mom's sweatshirt she is actually wearing today on this cold "Spring" day lol

[​IMG]

24. cat12686

cat12686

Mom's sweatshirt...thinking about making more...someone said some may be interested in buying some? Let me know and my family may consider it...

Attached Files:

25. flamingokid

flamingokid

26. Yeah, I'd buy one.

27. flamingokid

flamingokid

Pete and Jake's T-shirts for some people,Carl's t-shirts for the hip,edgy crowd.

28. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I am in for a couple of 3x's

29. seeya32

seeya32
    from emporia,ks

been reading this story,very interesting !!You mentioned the name Ferguson,I remember there was an ol guy down on Troost that dealt in Rupp minibikes.Wish I knew what happened to that stuff

30. flamingokid

flamingokid

Pete Mustain and I were going to make copies of the plate so everybody could have one.I guess I'll have to do it on my own now.