Register now to get rid of these ads!

Career help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by W Vaughan, Oct 28, 2003.

1. W Vaughan

W Vaughan
    from Benton Ms.

My job sucks!!!! I trim trees for a local electric company. I'm good at trimming but I hate it. I've been do custom body work and fabrication for the last few years on my stuff and my buddies cars and trucks. I've gotten pretty decent at welding and working sheetmetal. Do any of you proffesionals have any advise or tips in getting started in the custom/rod building field? Do you guys have people that work for/with you that you train? I think something like that would be great for me, but I do have to make some money to support the family. Maybe I'm just dreaming outloud but some feedback sure would be nice.

Thanks
    Will Vaughan

2. [ QUOTE ]
    My job sucks!!!!

[/ QUOTE ] At least you still have a job.

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I'd keep your custom career a sideline for awhile. It's fun to do stuff like that on the side at a pace you can enjoy without the overhead and hassles of running a shop, and you don't have to depend on it for your bread and butter.

If you're good at your trimming job, I'd stick around and draw the steady paycheck while you build your sideline business to the point where it can easily sustain you...through all types of economic climates!

Just a thought!

4. Iceberg

Iceberg

I lost my job last week. Wanna trade places?

5. daddylama

daddylama

one thing to be careful of: when your hobby becomes your job, then what do you do for a hobby?
    Building cars all day for other people, you may not have the ambition to do it for yourself after a while.

'Course, that's just me.

now I've got a shop on my property... build cars for other people on my free time... much better than when i did it full time, and as my main source of income.

But there's a lot of people that have the same work and hobby, and are totally happy with it...

Dont know if any of this helps or not... brain is a little fogged with all the smoke from the local fires...

6. tragic59

tragic59

Not only are you turning your hobby into your job, but you're also going to be completely at the whim of the customer, and what THEY want. Trust me when I tell you that your creative vision for how a car should/could/would be built will invariably be VERY different from your customers. And you have to build cars THEY like. Not cars you like. Not so cool of a job when you don't have the luxury of picking and choosing what you do.

7. Zeke

Zeke

While what I do for a living (cooking) is something I love, it's not for everyone. I hear it all the time about from many people who think they would love to do what I do. You know what they would fuckin' hate it. It's not Emeril Live and everyone having a ball. Nope I'm slamming shit out as fast as I can, all the while getting my ass chewed for not being faster. I have to be conscious about portion control, keeping my food cost right where they need to be to hit my bonus, or yelling at the waitron that just grabbed the plate I just put in the window and ran it off without the rest of the ticket.

What the hell does that have to do with body working? Do you want to turn what you love to do for your enjoyment into something that you have to do as someone else says. Having to deal with deadlines and bitchy customer? Look at all the pluses and minuses of whatever you look at as a new career before making a decision.

8. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

You know what they say... There there are probably two things you like to do. The thing you like the most you do as a hobby. The second most you do as a job.

Save up your money trimming trees and build up a clientele so you can do body and paint on the side. Every day you can look forward to going home to work on something *and* make money. After you do a dozen or so cars you'll probably decide if you want to make a living out of it.

9. truth

truth
    from Boston, MA

Jim Bernier, the guy that taught me a lot (and still teaches me) about old brit motorcycles and the business told me "don't quit your day job until it is costing you money to be there" - good friggin advice, man. If you got jobs lined up that you aint getting to because of your day job, and it seems like it will stay that way - then go for it. If not, think about it some more. My shop is still only open from 4-10pm... you can figure out why... plus people above me are dead on when they are talking about having to build for customers, and the other downsides of doing what you love all day... it doesn't work for everyone. Not trying to discourage you, man - just don't want you to quit prematurely and regret it in a couple months.

10. InPrimer

InPrimer

I prob sound like your father... If your day job has benefits you should consider keeping it. Stiking out on your own can be very satisfying but remember if you have a young family or about to have a family your lack of insurance,unless your wife carries it, will put you in the poor house rather quickly. This is not meant to discourage you, but benefits can sometimes save your ass...... just my .02 cents good luck

11. W Vaughan

W Vaughan
    from Benton Ms.

Thanks for all of the input guys. I'm not about to make any drastic decisions. I guess I'm working on more of a long range plan. My wife is in nusrsing school right now, so in a couple of years I will have a lot more freedom with my income range. Until then I will certainly be trimming trees and working on cars on the side. Thanks again for the input.

Will Vaughan

12. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am an office slave, I watch the guys outside frying in the sun or freezing in the cold or wind, and I find myself wanting to be there. I'm a guy who wants to get back in the field, but right now the op just isn't there, yet. I'm working on wearing boots and getting them dirty, office life is sort of like high school all over again. I didn't have patience for the BS then, not much has changed.

Fat Hack nailed it and so did truth. Um, need someone on your crew? [​IMG]