Register now to get rid of these ads!

care for tru-spokes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forsakenfew, Jan 6, 2010.

1. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

kicking around the idea of swapping out the astros for a set of tru-spokes. i've never run wire wheels before and am wondering how big of a pain in the ass they may be to keep clean/polished/rust free etc.

2. chop32

chop32

No, I dont really care for tru-spokes! Sorry, couldnt resist!

3. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Please dont.....your car is perfect as is.

4. a big p.i.t.a.

5. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

My daily is a beater '67 MGB GT with painted knock offs and wires... it's a pain in the ass and there's parts you can't really get a brush too. I ended up just painting the spokes a low gloss black and now I can't tell if they're dirty... plus it just looks cooler.

If they're chrome, and you don't let the brake dust build up on them, you can spray them down with chrome wheel cleaner and hose 'em off for the most part. I'm assuming you'd get chrome spokes anyway, so clean up shouldn't be too bad for you as long as you keep on top of them.

Good luck,

-Chris

6. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

They are a Bitch to clean. Lowrider wheel companies sell alot of wheel care sprays and polishes though. I don't know if the new Truespokes are available with Stanless spokes...that really helps handle rusting since you just have to take care of the rim.

I can't Stand Lowrider straight spokes but True-Spokes always looked awesome to me. The only other thing I like more than true spokes are Buick Wires.
    just look at all the old pics of late 60's customs and early lowriders.
    I have a 65 t-bird that will get Trues someday.

7. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I think I look good too... but i'm not going to brag about it... :D

8. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

They are a pain on a daily driver (had them on a tbird for 6 years,daily driven)....on a car that doesnt see much water and road wear they arent so bad...

9. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

ok, that was entertaining!

10. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

thanks for the compliment. wheels are an easy thing to swap around for different looks, and i've never run anything but astros. figure why not give it a shot?

11. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

hhmm... i do live in seattle, and drive my car a lot....

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

If you want easy, then run a black steel wheel.

Wire wheels are a pain in the ass. But they look good, that's why you're interested. Get them, run them, clean them. No big deal. ;)

13. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had Tru Spokes from 1976-1995, yes they look great, BUT as all above have said "PITA". Aside from that, ALL wire wheels when cornering, will "GIVE" a little before actually making the turn move. When I went back to a solid wheel, this was the very first thing noticable in good handling!!------Don

14. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I've had Tru-Rays (w/ Tru-Spoke caps) on my '65 Chrysler 300 and the ride is definitly different when going from spokes to a regular wheel. So going from solids to spokes will compromise the ride-quality.
    In my case I temporarly went from a spoke to an '80s alum. wheel and it was like I had a whole new car after the swap. Spoke wheels are heavy aswell but they can look very good on the right cars.

Currently I'm running Supremes again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. low64

low64
    from Canton, GA

My wife runs 14" Tru Spokes on her 62 Sunliner and I clean it. They look cool but the Supreams are a lot easier to deal with. I like how they both look.

16. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

hhmm...hadn't really thought about the handling aspects. the car is a big pig to begin with, and it's on bags... but it's no race car so maybe the handling issues will be at a minimum?

17. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

If you drive like a 90 year old far... ehm, no, lemme rephrase that... if you're a real cruiser ;) you won't notice any handling-issues with the spokes I would think.

Me, I don't trash my car, but I don't drive on eggs either.

18. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

When I built my wife's Model A, she wanted wires. Trust me (and the other guys on here) they are a giant pita and you really can't stop the rust if your car is a driver.

19. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

oh yeah, here is the car in question.

Attached Files:

20. 4woody

4woody

I run Mclean (Rally America) wires, and think they look a nice combo of sporty and classy.
    I put those thin stainless discs behind to keep the brake dust off, and they really work.
    I can't comment on handling as my car don't swing that way:
    [​IMG]

21. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

That's a cruiser allright! And a nice one at that.
    I think you should photoshop some tru's under your car first to get a feel for the look, but I think both wheels will look cool under there.
    You might end up like me being a bit undecided about what to run under the car.
    I like both set of wheels but recently went for the Supremes because they ride better.

22. teddyp

teddyp

i have spokes on my caddy for the last 6 yrs.a real pain to keep clean and keep from rust :mad:

Attached Files:

23. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

forsakenfew, I'll let you borrow mine for a day just to see how they would look... ;)

Attached Files:

24. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

awfully generous of you! thanks! those do look pretty good on the car.....

next question. what if i got stainless spokes and nipples. easier to deal with rust issues?

25. Trus are NOT a pain in the ass to clean! I ran them for years on a couple cars plus wires on a couple of harleys.I always used wire wheel spray on cleaner or chrome wheel cleaner,hose on hose off that easy about once every couple months I used a brush on them but still easy to care for.And I was living in Portland Oregon so rust wasnt a problem either..run em they are bitchin!!!!!!!!!!

26. ok now slowly back away from the pontiac! do a photoshop version, it's much less work and you said it yourself "i live in seattle and drive my car!"

27. Oh, now you got to! The Supremes looked good, but the wires look freaking awesome. I sold my Supremes and finally found the right set of wires (just need to get some tires to mount them, no biggie just more $$$ right?). That is one killer Poncho by the way!

28. Could some one photo shop the car with actual True spokes, not true classics? I think that actual truespokes would look much more correct and make that car a killer.

29. Eryk

Eryk

Those aren't Classics. Those are Rays. "Correct" for what?

Truspokes on a daily require a little more attention than normal. But I wouldn't call them a pain in the ass. They're just like any other wire wheel. Clean them often(which you should anyways) and they won't be that bad. No scrubbing unless you go weeks without cleaning. I use to use Dayton wire wheel cleaner, but now I just use carwash soap and water and it does the trick. But I hit them like twice a week. If you do use a more harsh wheel cleaner like Dayton or Eagle1, use it sparingly and wash it off quickly as it can eat away at your seal if it gets past the nipples. I always use compressed air to blow my Trus off REALLY thoroughly after I wash them. Also, some wax on your wire wheels can really help to keep them clean and rust free.

On a side note...you know I love your car. Have you ever run chrome reverse and medium whites? I know it's pretty common, but I think that combo on your car would be game over. Perfection.

30. Sorry, I looked on Truespoke.net and they had a similar looking wheel called a classic, sorry for the mix up. And all I meant about "correct" was the era that his paint represents, I guess. I think Starwires or Truespokes would look better, that's all. Sorry Eryk, I only learn stuff by making mistakes I guess.