Register now to get rid of these ads!

carburetors stuck.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malarky, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Malarky

Malarky

It seems that the throttle spindle is stuck. The damn thing worked fine 3 years ago the last time the engine ran (Its a ford 289.) I cant turn it at all from either side. Got any clues?

2. You should join the 289 HAMB group.

3. R Pope

R Pope

Soak it with "weasel piss" for a week.

4. merf

merf
    from new joisey

PB blaster for a few days then tap the shaft side to side until it moves then try to open it.

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

" it ran when I parked it"

6. I had the same problem with a Rochester recently. I tried soaking it for a week in all sorts of sh*t with no luck.
    Did water get in to yours?
    I don't know how badly seized it is,but I gave up and got a replacement from the junkyard.

7. Malarky

Malarky

It never got water in it, always garage kept.
    Its been soaking in wd40 for a couple days.
    & I never "parked it" smartass. I bought it as a project. Never even drove it yet, but the engine did run in my garage.
    I realized something was wrong when I pushed the gas pedal and it didnt move.

8. Malarky

Malarky

still stuck.

9. Is the throttle plate iron or alloy? If it's iron, a judicious application of heat, to gether with a penetrant will get it moving, If not, penetrant, tap-tap gently on each end of the shaft while trying to open, penetrant, tap-tap, pressure on the linkage, etc., etc......

10. Wasting your time. WD40 does not free up frozen stuff. Its made to displace moisture mainly. Get some PB Blaster sold at most auto stores and free it up with that. Blaster WILL do it. I use it all the time and free up things in minutes, not days. WD40 is to be kept in the trunk should you get a flat and need to clean your hands with.

11. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I used Liquid Wrench on my Rochesters. Don't forget to spray the area between the throttle bores as well as the ends. I let them sit over nite then lightly tapped with hammer. This proceedure has never failed. Isettajohn is correct about WD40.

12. Malarky

Malarky

Thanx for the tips. I sprayed the shit out of it with PB this morning b4 work. Gunna go mess with it a little more now.

13. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Being from a 289, it should be aluminum. If all else fails, don't be afraid to pass the torch over the throttle shaft, but be careful not to get the aluminum too hot. Of course, if the shaft won't move, you've got nothing to lose.

14. Malarky

Malarky

I got it!
    I took the carb off, removed anything attached to the shaft (the screws in the blades were brass and mushroomed at the end, had to unscrew em then pop em out), lubed it up and tapped the shaft out from the choke side(since it seemed to be stuck on that side) , a little bit of white shit came out with it, but it moved freely instantly. cleaned everything up and it all looked really good. No scarring or scratches. Put it all back together and it seems to be operating perfectly. KQQL !

Oh yeah, PB is really good shit!