Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb woes...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BlackFlag, Oct 13, 2005.

1. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

So im running a stock 2 barrel motorcrap carb on a 302 just to bring you guys up to speed. Im having troubles of it running too rich, so I finally decided to do something about it. I backed out all of the fuel mixture screws so that it shouldnt even run, but it didnt effect the mixture at all. Am I in need of a rebuild? If so it may be better to just pick up a new manifold and a holley or something. Ive heard horror stories of these carbs leaking and creating an engine fire. While my engine isnt anything special or expensive, Id kind of like to use it a little longer.

Or is it something that Im just not doing correctly. Let me know...

2. mojo66

mojo66

Shouldn't you be screwing them IN to lean out the mixture??

3. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Rebuild that little Motorcraft 2 bbl. When you pass the gas stations,you'll be glad you did. BTW those carbs work great on flatheads. Pick them up now while they are 12 for 10 cents.25 years from now,they will be the 'new' 97's. or so sez the great sparky:D

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Are you sure OUT is LEAN???

SOMETIMES you can use carb cleaner to remove any build up from the idle circuit air bleeds - if these clog they can make funny stuff happen. Try removing the idle screws completely and blowing some carb cleaner in there - should come out the air bleeds on top.

Can you see any raw fuel dripping from the boosters when running?? If so maybe your needle and seat are leaking putting fuel in there when it's NOT supposed to.

I've had needle and seat assy's STICK partially OPEN and CLOSED - either's bad!!! moreso at the track :mad: been there done that!!!

Also me being unfamiliar with your exact carb.....does it have a power valve - if so check it.

5. Also, check that the coil is up to snuff - when they get weak the symptoms are exactly that of a rich mixture.

Cosmo

6. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

It may be on a different carb, but when I did that to mine, it just got really really rich. I understand your point on the gas prices, but who cares when you have a kentucky credit card (siphoning gas for those of you who are unfamiliar).