Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb spacers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Jul 11, 2019.

1. NAES

NAES

I'm about to go through the Edelbrock carb on my 53 Chrysler. It's been tough to tune and about 10 years since the thing came off so I'm overdue. I've always had a hot start issue where after a drive and the car sits, it's tough to get started without letting it crank for a good 5 seconds. I assume the heat transfer boils out fuel and the pump has to get some back into the carb bowls to fire up. I have a hard line from the mechanical pump to the carb inlet that runs along the valve cover.

I've been reading about carb spacers helping to eliminate this situation so I wanted to get your guys thoughts on the subject. I'm running a 4 barrel on an aluminum intake and it looks like the phenolic 4 hole unit gives better low end performance which is what I prefer.

Thanks all, NAES

2. put one on it and see if that helps?

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put em on every build

4. old school rodder

old school rodder

I always Dyno my engine builds. Carb spacers are usually free horsepower, like 2-5 hp depending on your motor. It might fix your problem, they are cheap plus free hp.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Oldioron

Oldioron

All my junk goes on the dyno and I've not had one time where a 1" carb spacer did not make a notable difference in torque and horse power thru out the rpm range of the motor. I have tried open and the four hole spacers, the improvements were best it a open hole spacer on both two plane and single plane manifolds. On the two plane manifolds it helps with balance. You should use a open space at least 1/4" thick but the 1" worked best.
    This is just my experience and I do have results from a 440 of mine if I can locate them.:)

Deuces likes this.
  6. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I had an Edelbrock four barrel with the same problem. Spacer took care of it.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

1. Spacers DO NOT enhance low rpm's...normally. It depends on the manifold. If you have a short plenum, oddball manifold, yes in MIGHT help the low rpm range.
    Spacers enlarge the plenum volume, in ALL cases. This normally aids in slightly higher rpm power. A 1/2" spacer, my not even be felt. 1.0" or taller will raise the rpm the torque a little higher in the rpm range, some may even require a little different tuning (more fuel if you are tunes close to correct) for the engine to run its best.

2. Yes, phenolic or plastic spacers will help insulate the carburetor from the engine heat. It will not keep it 100% cooler, but normally, they will help a fair amount.

Mike