Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb sight Glass problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Hartmann, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

Well, I got the cross ram manifold n carbs n such on my motor today. It's got two Holley 390 double pumpers on it and I had them little glass/plastic sight plugs on the bowls. Well I ran it for a while n shut it off and then I noticed that both of the front sight deals on each carb busted off at the head, leaving nuthin but the threads n such in the carb. I tried to get em out but the sons-a-bitches just shattered n fell into the carb. now I gotta take apart the carb and get the basterds out. Anybody else have this problem?:mad:

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

I've tried removing them, and had them shear off even with the outer edge of the bowl casting. I decided to leave it alone as it wasn't leaking at the moment, but I've sence picked up a regular plug to replace it with before it does.

3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I had 'em - they're junk.

4. yup, they are crap, send em and the manifolds to me, I'll pay the postage and I'll dispose of them pesky bastids right proper.
    thanks, hope to hear from you soon

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I wouldn't run 'em permanently for exactly this reason. Besides, modern gas will stain 'em so you can't see through 'em anyway...

Use 'em to set your float level, then switch out with the original brass ones...