Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb shopping and help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58sled, Sep 24, 2007.

1. 58sled

58sled

I'm kinda having a hard time figuring all this out. what are the pros and cons or just the best for my application? I am running 425 cid nailhead in a 1958 Buick. My questions are:

What brand carb should I use? (easy to tune and adjust)
    What CFM's, been told 750? (street drivable, not a race car, not a daily driver)
    Choke (electric or manual)
    vacuum ?
    bolt pattern?
    part numbers

I want something simple, affordable, and reliable

Thanks in advance......

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

if you have a stock spreadbore intake, I think a q-jet from a big block car will work (around 800 cfm) and they are cheap. really depends on the cam as to how much you need. Everyone has a different opinion on carbs.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It depends on personal preference. The old Q-jets were fine carbs for stock applications. Pontiac (H/O) swore by them for racing applications. I'm used to square bore Holleys from my street racing days. My rods have 3 deuces on them and they work fine.

Nothing beats visual impact as multi-carbs on a Buick nailhead. Check out www.hotrodcarbs.com They tune them for your application so its a bolt and go.........Kinda pricey though.

4. Quadrajets are smooth and ultimately reliable for daily drivers, but if you don't drive them everyday, when you go to wake her up you gotta pump the accelerator pedal about 15 or 20 times before you crank the starter, kinda weird but it's true.
    Edelbrocks have been growing on me in recent years, not sure if they have a spread bore application, could always use an adapter.
    Holley should still make their Quadrajet replacement, which I've used in the past with great results, they have a second accelerator pump for those big secondaries that does away with any chance of bogging. If set up a long-long time, the bowl gaskets traditionally dry out on Holleys, but they build a newer style that solves that problem.
    MULTIS; I think 3dueces would be too small except maybe the Barry Grant Six Shooter(somewhere around $1800-$2000), but a pair of 600 Edelbrocks would perform great with progressive linkage useing the rear carb as the primary, and it'd look like it coulda been factory.

5. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

if you can at all, go with a properly setup quadrajet. there is NO better carb for a street car in the realm of reliability and function. the tiny priomaries give you tons of throttle response and more torque than a comprably sized square flange carb. when you get into the secondaries it sounds like a black hole opening up under your hood and the motherfucker GOES. quadrajets are also much simpler than everybody makes them out to be. they have less parts than a holley or edelbrock but work much better. i only recommend edelbrocks for people who can't grasp the theory behind how a carb works and holleys are only really good for racing. then again you can get into the low 9's with a q-jet fairly easily. i know they aren't the prettiest carbs but in a custom i think it'll be the best bet.
    if you need any help with it, pm me. i can tell you where to get a fresh one for under $200 and can help with the setup since i build carbs as a side job.

6. 58sled

58sled

Thanks for all the info so far. I hear 3 deuces are to small for a 425 plus I want to learn on getting one right before dealing with multiple carbs, oh yeah and that $$$ thing. I have a 2x4 offy manifold but was not going to start with that maybe later. I'm hearing good things about the edlebrock for a beginner.

what about choke and vacuum?

I was typing at the same time a you skajaquada I have debated the Q-jet but have been scared off by some reports and I will give you a shout about a carb.

I think I can figure anything out mechanical just a lack of experience