Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb Scoop History help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tomcat11, Nov 26, 2011.

1. tomcat11

tomcat11

I snagged this MPH Products scoop off e-pay and can't find any history on it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. P/N S-109 The company still exists in EL Paso but I don't think they make these anymore.

The only thing I found on the web is someone said he ran one on a D/gas falcon in the 60's and he got it from Almquist. I don't know if it's true but It would be nice to know how old they are. It's for my A-bone blower set up and I wanted something a little more vintage than what you can buy now.

Attached Files:

2. Larry T

Larry T

A friend of mine bought one of the last ones made and still in stock in the 90's. I think BDS still sells the same scoop with their logo molded into the side of it.
    Larry T

3. the three kings

the three kings
    from Texas

i have a BDS and it looks different

4. tomcat11

tomcat11

Thanks for the feedback. It is a bit different than what BDS sells. Maybe someone with a mid to late 60's Almquist catolog could take a peek.

5. bentwings

bentwings

Here is the BDS version of your scoop on my 41 Willys.

Attached Files:

6. My buddy Todd is running one on his Henry J, you can just make out the MPH at the nose of the scoop

[​IMG]

7. Larry T

Larry T

This one had MPH (and El Paso, I think), on the inside of the scoop. He bought it from Hot Heads in the mid 90's and they said it was the last one they had and they weren't gonna make anymore. The bowtie is just a sticker.
    Larry T

[​IMG]

8. bentwings

bentwings

The back is more rounded on the new BDS scoop. Otherwise they are very similar. these scoops are much thicker or taller in section than the popular Hilborn scoops with the expanded metal screens.

In my opinion I like these better as they have a more serious look.

9. tomcat11

tomcat11

In my opinion I like these better as they have a more serious look.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Thanks Larry T and the others for your replies. Great shot of the Henry J. I'd like to see more of that car. It seems like there are a few different versions of these scoops.

10. Old thread but I just picked one up that someone modified by grinding the name and fins off the top. Plus drilling it for carb studs, but it's still cool. 20151114_210051.jpg 20151114_210005.jpg 20151114_205833.jpg