Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb linkage HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NotNuRodz, May 21, 2010.

1. NotNuRodz

NotNuRodz

I'm setting up my gas pedal and carb linkage on my coupe soon, and honestly have no idea what i'm doing! I'm running 4 barrel for right now and have the the throttle linkage and carb linkage and a spoon style gas pedal.

So i guess my main question is does the throttle linkage connecting the carb and pedal have to be parallel to the ground, or can i mount my gas pedal lower and run the linkage at an angle? Any other advise would be great!

2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't think it would matter. The linkage on my T is a bent piece of rod with a quick disconnect to the carb. I have a rod end that attaches to the spoon

Attached Files:

3. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The main thing with carb linkage is it MUST operate through the full range of idle to WOT without binding, rubbing, or sticking. It must SNAP back to idle from any position and the pressure required to open the carb should not be excessive (making it tiring to maintain a steady speed). Also it should never be able to over center and prevent the carb from returning to idle.

Frank

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am no expert either, but as long as the angle is only slight it should be OK.
    Obviously being in the flat plane would be the most geometrically correct.

Most of what you see is attempting to achieve that level look which also looks better as well.

5. aaggie

aaggie

Use a cable and it doesn't matter.

6. The rod that H2K shows seems to have a locking mechanism to keep the spring from compressing unwantedly? Does anyone know where to get this type of link ?;as I am having trouble with my repro Ford type rod "stretching".

Thanks!

7. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got that piece of linkage from Charlie Price at Vintage Speed. I've seen them other places as well. It is a push to open to fit on a ball/screw piece

8. Thanks! Push instead of pull so it doesn't stretch right?

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, The spring keeps it closed on the attachment ball

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010