Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Carb issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by allanjon, Nov 8, 2018.

1. allanjon

allanjon

Took Edelbrock carb off aluminum manifold, to my surprise there was 5 gaskets under the carb, one was a shiny stiff aluminum maybe bout .45 to .60 thick, then 4 gaskets on either side, anyone ever see this? So I have a phonlic 1 inch spacer, would that take a gasket on both sides? Or I will just put 1 gasket on manifold and put carb back on. Any idea why there was the ahiny aluminum maybe they shipped it with it attached?

2. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Yes , it was to act as heat insulator . Only issue is it leaks more than the sinking Titantic . Your question about gaskets : Carnic says “ gasket on each side of the spacer or will end up being a dull , dull person .”

olscrounger and mad mikey like this.
  3. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Dave is correct, that stack was used as an insulator and sure did leak. Edelbrock makes an excellent gasket/insulator part #9266 which I use under everything including Holleys. It works very well, is only 1/4 inch thick and does not leak. That Edelbrock/Carter carb really needs an insulator or you will evaporate more fuel than you burn.

mad mikey likes this.
  4. carbking

carbking

Adding to the discussion from a different perspective:

First, no comment about the carburetor/spacer/gaskets in the thread.

However, as far as stacking mounting gaskets to produce a spacer is concerned; this practice has been going on by the car manufacturers themselves since at least the mid-1930's.

Buick, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Packard, to name a few, ALL used spacers that were made from stacking mounting gaskets, and fastening the gaskets together with staples.

The procedure, if done correctly, works well.

Jon.

mad mikey likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. The only other thing to check, some manifolds were designed to take a square bore or spread bore carb. A plate was used to seal off the slight increase in plenum widening to the rear of the plenum.

6. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

Many years ago I bought a 1969 Chrysler New Yorker for fairly cheap. It had a very good running 440 engine with a near new 600 Holley double pumper on it. It started right up and ran real well. I noticed that it only had the fuel line hooked up to the front bowl, back bowl was left open. I had nothing to fix it with on the spot so I went ahead and drove it the 35 miles to get home. Once home I took the carb off to get the right fuel line setup. When you use the Holley DP on a stock cast iron Mopar intake it must be spaced up about 1/4 of an inch or the secondary linkage will hit on the passenger side. Guess what they used-the spacer-gasket-spacer-gasket and so on. Before reinstalling the carb I was inspecting the bottom and noticed that one of the rear mounting ears was about broke off-the new baseplate cost me half what the car did. One good plus that I have enough square bore thin gaskets that I am still using today!

7. allanjon

allanjon

Thanks I just ordered the 9266 gasket, so I am reading some put paper gaskets on both sides of the 9266 gasket, thoughts?

8. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I've used them both ways, with or without gaskets and it made no difference. If you have the gaskets it can't hurt but if not I wouldn't be concerned. The one on my 36 has been on there with no gaskets for over 30 years and is still doing the job. Every few years I take the carb off, clean it and put it right back on.

9. Or make wood spacers out of red oak