Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb issue carter afb could be more

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59cadrusty, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 59cadrusty

59cadrusty
    from hemet, ca

Its been a while since I've been on here been through a lot this last few months but I've started working on the 59 cad again replaced the fuel pump that was dumping fuel into the crank case, drained the oil and filterr is replaced, greased the bearings and cleaned the carb but I'm still having issues with the damn thing stalling. It starts up fine on a cold start runs perfect for about 30 minutes then sputters out and stalls. I did notice howeve that the pasanger side of carb was spraying fuel out of it so my question is if the float is still sticking could this be the reason its dying after running for a while? Could it be that simple? I've checked the floats and they don't seem to be sticking and it just had a complete over haul. I'm kind of at a loss here and can't quite put my finger on why it keeps stalling out. Might pull the carb back off today and take it all back apart to see if it still has an issue but if any of you have any input on this it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for listening

2. It may not be your problem for sure but if the carb is spraying fuel out of the side it is a good indication that you have a carb problem and I would try and fix that problem before I went looking into any other problems.

Spraying fuel = engine fire. That is real hard on the paint job.

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That carb needs to come off right away, and meticulously gone thru.

Porkn beaner is right,.fuel spray, engine fire,..NOT good for paint, or anything else, for that matter !

Fuel pump puttting gas into crankcase,...My 61 Bonneville 389 did that a couple of times. Finding a NEW, not rebuilt pump fixed that.

4TTRUK

4. carbking

carbking

Before doing anything else, I would suggest a compression test. A sticky or burned intake valve can allow compression (pressure) back into the carburetor and cause fuel to spray out of the top. Using an incorrect flange mounting gasket can also sometimes cause this issue.

A leaky valve also could contribute to the engine stalling at idle.

Its a quick test, and might tell you something.

If the compression test shows no issues, then, yes, time to remove the carb.

If the carb does need to come off, pay attention to the float arms. Some of them will have a tiny hole that just begs to have the plunger clip inserted in the hole. DON'T DO IT!

Use the clip, but clip it on the back or side of the float arm, never in the hole.

Set the float dimension first. Then, when checking the float for binding, turn the airhorn into its normal position (right side up) and set the float drop before checking for binding.

Jon.