Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carb help. . .Rochester 7002050 B (single barrel)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jetcycles, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jetcycles

jetcycles

They say "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people who ask them" so I'll play the roll of moron this morning.:rolleyes: I have a Rochester 7002050 B Carb on my 1950 Chevy Deluxe and I can't remember where in the world this spring came from on the outside of this carb. I've searched the H.A.M.B.(and google) high and low for a decent picture to compare but I keep coming up empty handed. Can anyone tell me WTF I'm missing here? Also, what cable am I missing on here, I believe it's the choke cable? Looks like I need to track down a service manual asap. . .Thanks in advance for any help provided. BTW, my flame suit is on, so fire away!!!
    The spring in question. . .
    [​IMG]
    The mighty leaking Rochester!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the firewall/cowl tag data thrown in for good measure
    [​IMG]

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Looks to me like an aftermarket throttle return spring that someone added after the fact.

3. Boozer

Boozer

4. LAROKE

LAROKE

5. ya might wanna check home depot as to the spring usage.... has nothing to do with the carb.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Heathen's right, that's a universal spring, available at a lot of parts houses or hardware stores.

You can use a universal choke cable to work the choke, it looks like all the pieces are on the carb to make it work right.

The triangle shaped tag is the key to getting the right kit for the carb ( if it is the right tag for the carb) and there are probably instructions for rebuilding the carb online or in old motor manuals or shop manuals. They are pretty simple but do have a couple of parts that are a bit delicate if handled wrong. If the number is still readable on the tag you can easily get the exact kit you need for the carb.

7. jetcycles

jetcycles

thanks for the good info as usual. Looks like I need to find/replace my throttle return spring now. . .

8. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The throttle return spring is usually on the bell crank on the side of the engine.

9. jetcycles

jetcycles

Boozer, I found that link yesterday (by searching here) but couldn't get a clear enough picture of what i was looking for, probably b/c it doesn't belong!!

Laroke, thanks for the link!!! It's now quite obvious that I have no choke cable(which i suspected), but more importantly, I have no Throttle Control Cable. I would assume that is why someone rigged a generic spring into place to close the butterfly on the carb. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about this car or carb yet to figure out how to remedy the situation. Are Throttle Control Cables available anywhere? I'll check chevyofthe40's
    [​IMG]