Register now to get rid of these ads!

carb help needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2xcrash, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 2xcrash

2xcrash

I've got an amc 360 with a holley 4blr carb. If I prime it with a little fuel it'll start and continue to run.I'll shut it down and try to restart it and It won't fire up. It's getting fuel to the carb the fuel pump. The motor wasn't started for a few months I sprayed the carb down with cleaner and am running fresh fuel. Any Ideas what I should do next? Any good websites to help ID the carb? Thanks...

2. jm36072

jm36072

sound like yoe need to get a rebuild kit! its probably got dirt in it or it can not pump fuel if the internal rubber parts are cracked leting presure bleed back.

3. kelgar50

kelgar50
    from socal

Simple fix......1st.get your wrench out and start by removing the 4 nuts holding that Holley onto the intake.2. lift the holley off the base very easily wouldn't want to hurt anything. 3. chuck the holley 4bbl in the trash can. 4. buy a carter afb pretty cheap used rebuild it or buy a edlebrock carb 5.put on new gasket and install new carb 6. dial the idle mixture screws shut the hood and drive it.
    Just my .02 but I have never liked the holley 4bbl carbs.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Sounds like a rebuild time !
    If you really don't want it to be original , then buy a Carter , Edelbrock or Grant ! Holley's are a pain in the ass piece of shit that always need tinkering with . Just my 2 cents !

5. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

sorry to say but i believe that it needs a rebuild

6. 2xcrash

2xcrash

So if I go rebuild what is the better carb. The motor is in my boat. 79 demarco. not a race boat. Go with a 600?

7. 69fury

69fury

rebuild it and keep it. I love my holley and it never asks anything of me.

8. fasttimes

fasttimes
    from NC

Just rebuild the holley, its a good carb. The other problem you are going to run into for California is then you will have to buy a marine rated carter or edelbrock carb. It sounds like you need to check the Accelerator pump and make sure you are not missing the cam on the on the the main throttle bracket.